Author Topic: using linseed oil  (Read 4167 times)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
using linseed oil
« on: December 20, 2014, 03:37:57 PM »
hi all, i'm a bit new to using linseed oil and just wondered if there are any particular ways it should be used?

i've turned a small walnut bowl to test it out and given it a good coat to soak in and i know it takes ages to dry so have left it in the corner of the room and will try a second in the new year.

are there any tips to building up layers and getting a good shine?

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: using linseed oil
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 10:10:28 PM »
Personally I wouldn't bother using it. Try Danish oil, IMHO a far superior finish and more controllable too. Somedays you can get 3 coats on in a day. (you've got to get up early mind).

woody

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 10:34:58 PM »
I have to agree a good quality Danish or Teak oil like Rustins will give a far superior finish they are made as a finish and have driers in them I normally apply at least 6 coats depending on the type of wood it is going on

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 11:16:02 PM »
Steve,

While I agree about using Danish Oil, I'll answer your question.

To start with there is Raw and Boiled Linseed Oil.

Raw Linseed oil is great for some things, anything you make for use in a garden or outside.

I don't actually think Boiled is boiled, it has added driers (as in paint driers) so that it 'sets' (polymerizes). I like to use it for any handles I make for tools and wipe my workbench down with it a couple of times a year. But as it sets it can be applied in layers a to build up a finish but it does take longer to go off than Danish, so a longer finish time.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 02:34:11 AM »
i forgot to say, i bought raw linseed...

i know the difference between the two and got raw as i thought it was a better finish to build up layers for a better sheen???

i use danish oil daily but thought i'd give something else a go to see if it did any better.

i intend to build up the layers using my danish on some spectacular walnut i have (see link) http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/woodcraft-forum/65439-bowl-turning-thread-43.html#post1223729 but wanted to see if i could get a better look as i think i need to do these justice.

i should have finished the first platter in danish after xmas (and my test raw linseed bowl) so will make a judgment on it then.

interesting to hear that it's good for outdoor work.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 02:50:15 PM »
I know raw linseed oil takes longer to set,but you can still build layers if your patient and build a good sheen up,and if you have facilites to buff,you can get a higher shine,the difference between raw and boiled linseed oil isn`t driers added as stated,but boiled linseed has hot air passed through it to make it dry quicker,the difference in drying time can be 3-8 days between boiled and raw linseed oil and the time of year of course,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 01:51:09 PM »
any idea how many coats will need to be applied before i get a good finish?