Author Topic: Pen Turning  (Read 5608 times)

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
Pen Turning
« on: December 19, 2014, 08:26:49 AM »
I fancy having a go at making some nice pens but after reading and watching just about everything I can find I am still not sure whether to use a mandrel or turn between centres. Part of the problem is that turning between centres needs a dead centre and I cannot find one .
Do you make pens ?
What do you use ?
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: Pen Turning
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 08:49:11 AM »

Hi Graham,
                 I use a mandrel I tried between centres but soon went back to a mandrel I found this more versatile.

Regards John
John Smith

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 09:58:50 AM »
I fully agree mandrels are the better choice, if your new to it I would advise to get one of the kits available (there are several to pick from), they also usually contain 5 pen kits too and trimmers etc, they are around £50-£60 per kit but will last a lifetime if looked after.
Good luck

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 10:31:53 AM »
John and Ryan. You have just blown half my reading out of the water  :) An article I was just reading said most people change from mandrel to TBC and he had never heard of anyone going the other way. Such is life  :)
Regards
Graham

woody

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 11:02:26 AM »
I turn pens both ways if you haven't got a dead centre why not make one out of say boxwood they are very easy to make either to fit in a chuck by turning a bit of wood to round put it in your chuck and turn it to a point or even a rod aluminium using your scrapper
Or for your MT by turning the Mt fit it  and again turn a point also between centres you can still use bushes if you don't fancy having keep measuring

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 12:26:03 PM »
I think it's more of a personal choice.
I would say to try both as you can always sell the mandrel, it's whichever you feel most confident and comfortable with, I do find mandrels an easier way to learn though.
Good luck with whichever you choose.

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 02:09:14 PM »
I shall not order anything now until the new year so I have a while to decide but all opinions welcome.
Regards
Graham

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 02:18:33 PM »
Graham
  I'm Not sure where abouts you live (i live in Leicetershire) but you are more than welcome to come over give a mandrel a try to see if it suits you before buying one.
Just a thought.

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 02:55:22 PM »
Many thanks for the offer Ryan, A bit far but a nice thought.
Regards
Graham

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 03:36:00 PM »
You're more than welcome

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 05:20:18 PM »
Graham there is a club at Littlemore which probably is not a million miles away. get in touch with them and see if someone there can help.

teddyt

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 06:34:27 PM »
As you know I'm a complete novice at woodturning, but I got myself a mandle for pen turning ,after trying to make a pen at my club.
And have not looked back......BRILLIANT!!!!!! ;D

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 11:02:27 AM »
Using a madrel is by far he easiest method for any pen kit that you may get whether you use the proper bushing kit or not. I have upgraded to the Planet Collet Mandrel and find it really good. My original kit was the planet one for a 1MT spindle but on upgrading the lathe it was no good to me so bought the new one and never looked back.  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 12:12:23 PM »
Hi Julcie, is there any great difference in the collet to using a more taper ? ( I was thinking of the Axi evolution  adjustable mandrel )
Regards
Graham

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 01:43:18 PM »
Hi Graham, no not really, the 1MT kit that I had originally was good but the new lathe was 2MT so I either had to buy a new kit at £50 plus or just replace the mandrel. I already had the Axminster 2MT Mandrel but not the adjustable one and found that this flexed too much for my liking so at Yandles in September I had a chat to the Rotur guys and came away with the 2MT Delux Colleted Pen Mandell, the only benefit you get is that the shaft can be adjusted in the 2MT stock to the length of blank that you are turning (it may not be for a pen). The Axminster Adjustable mandrel will do the same job but the collet avoids any burs on the shaft caused by the locking grub screws when adjusting the length of the mandrel. Turning between centres without a mandrel can get awkward with the slimline or smaller pen kits as you have to make different jam chucks for each, I'm not saying it's difficult and if you are on a budget it's a worthy option but a mandrel is easier (imho).  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian