Author Topic: The perfect BLO /CA finish  (Read 5198 times)

Offline Haggy

• bronze
  • "You can keep your ashes in that " Wife
The perfect BLO /CA finish
« on: December 15, 2014, 07:05:02 PM »
I have been experimenting for some time with BLO and CA glue on pen blanks but have not been able to get perfect results.
I am able to achieve perfect surface preparation and use the BLO as an accelerant for the CA glue-after about the 4th coat everything looks promising, but careful inspection under a lamp reveals slight ring lines that need to be removed by wet sanding with micro mesh. Wet sanding looks impressive initially but when dry appears slightly cloudy under a lamp - but the rings have gone!
I imagine the cloudiness is a result of the BLO, it isn't obvious to the untrained eye, but is it possible to be left with a crystal clear finish?
           Any new leads on this problem would be much appreciated.
                Haggy  :-\

Offline julcle

• platinum
Re: The perfect BLO /CA finish
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 07:24:20 PM »
Hi Haggy - I had the same issue with BLO & CA Glue so just use the CA now and leave it a bit longer between coats so that the CA is fully dry, I still have to micromesh it to get a perfect finish. Ed will probably come up with the correct solution as he uses loads of it on his pieces and they look perfect.   Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 10:49:47 PM »
Try putting 20 coats on and cutting back with a burnishing cream.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 11:48:21 PM »
Hi Haggy

I to have been playing around with CA finish but not on pens. I apply the CA along the grain without the lathe spinning, I then quickly spin up the lathe and apply the BLO, I then let this stand for a few minutes re-spin the lathe and wipe of the BLO and then leave the work for around another 5 minutes before sanding with 600 grit, sanding until smooth. Then I repeat the process half a dozen times.

On the last two sandings I also go over the work with a very fine wire wool and on the final coat once I've used the 600 grit and the wire wool I'll give the work 2 or 3 coats of burnishing cream and that seems to work for me.

I did try applying the CA at first while the lathe was spinning but this left rings.

A lot of pen turners apply the CA with the lathe spinning and sand to 12000 grit wet and dry and then use burnishing cream, T-Cut or Brasso. They apply around 20 coats of CA. I have not yet applied this many coats to anything that I have done but plan to try it the next time I use CA as a finish.

There's a couple of articles on my site about CA finish one of which is written by Alan Currans who is an accomplish pen turner. His article is worth the read https://www.oliverswoodturning.co.uk/finishing-pens-with-superglue-tutorial/

Hope this all helps, lets us know how you get on.

Ed

woody

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 10:46:12 AM »
Has anyone ever tried the Dreechsein und Mehr Pen Finish from tool post it gives a satin finish and is as tough as any ca finish and only needs a few coats

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 11:10:54 AM »
Has anyone ever tried the Dreechsein und Mehr Pen Finish from tool post it gives a satin finish and is as tough as any ca finish and only needs a few coats
I watched the man demonstrating it for a while at their last open day. Looks good but didn't realise what it was called  :)
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 11:18:22 AM »
One of the many Youtube vids I watched said that many CA problems were caused by combining with multiple coats of BLO. It recommended one coat at the start to bring out the grain and then just multiple coats of CA with an activator spray after each. Haven't tried it myself but looked good on screen.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Haggy

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 06:55:43 PM »
I have just logged on in the hope that some turners may have been able to help and really appreciate the replies I have had.  Thank you for taking the trouble- I'm looking forward to seeing if your video link helps Ed and appreciate your detailed answer.  I didn't realise turners were applying as many as 20 coats!
I will try out your suggestions, but may well give up on using BLO as it is causing more problems than solving them.
            Regards.   Haggy

Offline farmerphil

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 10:26:57 PM »
No expert but the way I was shown was to use a single piece of kitchen roll folded up ,add  a dob of BLO and apply to surface of wood and then without a pause apply a drop of CA to the  BLO spot on the paper and immediately spread on pen and apply pressure generating heat.
One coat seems enough.
Outcome has a few times been uneven but was told just give a quick wipe with the BLO, and you have the CA ready to apply without hesitation. A quick no fuss finish.
An alternative suggestion, does it work for others or have you already tried and discarded this method?

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 10:38:27 PM »
My method is Here http://www.woodturned.co.uk/html/blo-ca_finnish.html

I have made hundreds of pens with this method and only had a few failures that I then had to cut back with the micromesh or used a buffing system.

john

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 05:42:05 PM »
Hello John,
                The method you show is exactly the way I do it and I have found it successful. Regards John     
John Smith

Offline Haggy

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 09:25:56 PM »
Very, very helpful.  Thankyou for your link John and sharing good practice.  Your method seems to make perfect sense and thankyou too for the note of caution.  I have always prepared my blanks down to 600 grit - never taken them down to 12,000 before applying BLO.  My problem may stem from cutting part through the CA with micro mesh to expose the underlying layer of BLO, this appears cloudy.
I notice  you use only a buffing paste John.
I am now really looking forward to the weekend to see if your words of wisdom help.
I am grateful to all the suggestions-I have read them all with great interest and will not give up with BLO just yet.  If BLO fails I will see if I have the patience to apply 20 coats of CA.
     Thank you to all for taking the trouble.
          Regards.  Haggy