Author Topic: What do club members want to watch at demonstrations  (Read 4788 times)

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
What do club members want to watch at demonstrations
« on: June 17, 2011, 07:18:18 AM »
A question for club members, what do you like to watch at club demonstration night or days.

I know from my club that its hard to find out off members what they would like to see at club nights when a demonstrator comes, some want the most well known woodturners while other just come for a night out and are not to bothered who is demonstrating on the night or what.

Do you want to see the basics of turning from tool choice to using  each tool or not bothered that much about the basics, but want to see how to turn diffident items or just an item that would leave you saying i wish i could turn that.

Lets see some idles from all the members on here, and if your new to turning all the better.

Philip

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
Re: What do club members want to watch at demonstrations
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 07:57:10 AM »
Hi Philip

Good question. 

Last night we had a demonstration of French Polishing which was excellent.

We've also had people who collect old tools, maje rocking horses etc.

In terms of woodturning when I demonstrate I try to find something that is different from the norm and concentrate on techniques rather than getting to a finished item - I always have a Blue Peter version to show though.  I reckon if people can go away with some food for thought then it's a job well done.

One thing I don't like to watch is hollowing! Largely because there is nothing to see! :(

I also keep a record of what I've demonstrated to various clubs.  One of our members said about a demonstrator that came to our club "they did that last time they came, surely it's not hard to keep a record and avoid repetition" - That's a good point I thought so I've started a record! ;)

Having said that it's hard to come up with different ideas that you can do in a couple of hours.

Cheers Dave

Offline John

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 08:11:29 AM »
We had a committee meeting to discuss this subject on Monday.
Earlier this year we had a "hands on" evening. Five lathes were setup and one sharpening station,
We only had 30 members turn up normally we have 50ish. Most members just wanted to watch the minority learn and practice something they were having difficulty with. no one wasn interested with sharpening tools. The most popular table was set up for Hands on Pyrography.
At our Wednesday meeting this was brought up be the chairman who asked the membership what they wanted for Demo's etc.
In the main there was just blank faces.
The following Demo was by Chris and Rita Norton, they were making colouring fruit and onions, The comments at the conclusion was this is the best demo we have had in a while, As people were leaving they said they were inspired.
John
John English

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 01:02:19 PM »
As the person responsible for booking demonstrators for our club I like this question – I just wish I knew the answer.

Honestly, sometimes it’s finding an available demonstrator for the evening in question but as I like to work well in advance I try to vary the evenings between well the known turners and lesser known demonstrators from other clubs or their recommendations.

Basically everyone brings something to the pot and offers an individual insight to the evening.

Sometimes it’s the way they use a tool you had not considered, a special something they’ve made to make their turning easier, a review of some of the basic techniques or the simple repetitive methods turning on a spindle for production work (often forgotten in an individuals the thrust to making the big bowls).

Decorative techniques always go down well, colouring, piercing or adding texture.

Two one thing I personally dislike are the demonstrator who;

•   Whizz a piece of timber into something they’ve been working on lately and produce a nothing special piece, using no special techniques to see in action – we want to learn.
•   Demonstrators who insist on using the time we’ve given them to do nothing but advertise how much better it would be if we had them for a full day or were to attend one of their training sessions or buy their DVD!

We’ve also done the in-house demo nights, and for the size of our club you would not believe the reluctance of members to have a go on a Hands-to-Workstations nights and even more so to do a half evening demo to everyone. It’s nearly always the same few people who take up that challenge to do something.

I suppose to answer the question of ‘What Do I want’…

The one thing I’ve yet to see offered by a turner is an insight to their creative process. I know there are only a few people are naturally creative and can step well outside the (almost) engineering turning that most of us produce. The question I’d like to see explored though, is where did the idea come from, how did it develop and what processes did they go through from seeing a ‘something’ to realising the final piece on the lathe.

I’ve started trying to do this and to help me develop, I’ve taken to using my phone camera to snap anything with a shape I think has promise (ceramic, glass, jewellery etc) and also started sketching ideas and then pushing them in different directions to see what develops. How long it will be before I can turn what I can envisage remains to be seen.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Andy Coates

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 04:22:05 PM »
"The one thing I’ve yet to see offered by a turner is an insight to their creative process."

This is an interesting one Dr4gonfly. I did a presentation and workshop for the Association based upon this broad idea. I started it with a powerpoint presentation - which shocked a few people I think - and went through ideas, processes, techniques, thoughts and ideas Etc., before getting into the hands-on work.

I think it went well on the day, and was even asked if I'd do a similar thing for an evening demonstration, but as I said then...I think  most clubs would see it as an "easy" evening for the demonstrator and perhaps feel they hadn't got value for money. It's a shame because I often think this approach would be far more constructive, and instructive, than the compromise demonstrators (me at least) often have to make in order to try to please the majority.

I also don't do "finished" pieces at demonstrations, feeling that ideas and techniques are far more valuable than start to finish projects.

But then that's just me...

We tried something very different at our club a couple of years ago, and brought in a presenter who offered something fresh and inspiring, but sadly most of the old guard found it baffling and failed to get the benefits. To the best of my knowledge the person in question hasn't given the presentation anywhere else since, which is a sad loss.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 07:04:18 PM »
At our club , occasionally we try to include something different. These have included stick making, chair making and pole lathe turning.
One topic that the members ask to be included is sharpening.

myatt1972

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 08:55:21 PM »
Very difficult to keep the majority happy I would think. Ive been turning for 6 months so anything I see at a demo I find very interesting and educational. On the other hand some of the more experienced members would not be pleased quite so easily.
For me tool sharpening would be great, I have found myself watching clips on youtube on this subject.
As for "hands on" I would not be confident enough to pick up a chisel with a number of people watching but I have had some kind offers from club members willing to help me on a one to one basis.
Another thing I would find useful is a "what tool for what job" night, I know that there is no right or wrong on this subject but a point in the right direction would be great and as Im just starting out purchasing the right tools is important.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 01:20:36 PM »

Are Club's May meeting was Clive Brookes from Robert Sorby and yes, he had all the tools there for sale...  but this was no hard sell show, he talked of the Company and how the tools came about and went on to show how they should and would work..  His first question actually was for a show of hands as to how long everyone had been turning.. 20yrs, 10yrs, 5yrs an less or just starting, this set how he presented the evening..   I think..

Also with each tool, did anyone have it..  hands went up..  do you get it work, Yes/No..  more No's to that with most, he went on to exactly how to use and sharpen it each, that was the Spindlemaster..   the evening went the same with Spiralling/texturing System, Ring cutter, RS200KT Hollower as Shear scraper, chatter tool, Sovereign Handles an multi-use, ProEdge and all the whistles, made a nice new factory edge and for all the talk of off the tool finish, the Sand Master..  which may have counted as most of that nights sells.. I've not covered all the tools and Clive ran out of time to cover many of the question which came up..   ??? ..  so it was considered he should come another time..

This as a Demonstration was interesting for the techniques, which maybe is what is called..  it's been said hollowing you don't see much of what is going on, but should the side be cut away, you'd show exactly what was happening, the cutter location and angle for cut etc..

With any show most will watch an apple being turned, a pen, thread chasing (ah there's one) Colouring or a finish being applied, what goes with/over, can be used with each other, it can be the small things, it's as much as to where any person is at with their turning skills, to what is needed..  will watch as to what else is said here.

David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 09:20:48 PM »
Having read all the replies on this thread I have empathy with everything that has been said at our Club we try to get a mix of Demonstrations,Hands On and discussions. You will never please everyone all of the time.If a member complains all of the time ask them to become the next years Events Secretary if he does he will soon understand what a difficult job it is, but you wont get many volunteers.Regards John   
John Smith

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 09:36:54 PM »
OK I'm not a member but it's from my perspective as a demonstrator as well as a guy who's gone to a few woodworking and turning sessions in wales etc. It's a good idea to be as descriptive and as interactive as possible to those both able bodied and disabled. I always think it a good idea that if say someone like myself was there as a member of the audience, the demonstrator would either spend time at the end of the show or be as descriptive and helpful as possible. It's been my experience in the past that some demonstrators don't know how to work best with disabled people but that's not a problem, just an area where future advantage comes in handy.

I've been a member of the woodfest for a year as a demonstrator, using my skills as a blind turner, the key trick is to walk through each process with description, even if it's hollowing, etc (boring work hahahaha) It's a good idea to get people gripped on the subject and make them fel at ease, even as much as getting them involved and giving them a chance to try out the techniques as well as the tools, etc.

lew