Author Topic: simple bowl  (Read 3064 times)

myatt1972

simple bowl
« on: June 15, 2011, 09:08:31 PM »
Not had as much time for turning lately but got stuck into a bowl this week from a blank I had given to me.
Nothing fancy just a simple bowl as I'm still getting to grips with things.
Its 9" accross 2.5" tall.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: simple bowl
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 10:04:31 PM »

Keith,  Nice classic bowl form and finished well, just a small amount of sanding or scratches on the finish on the end grain, still a beautiful piece of beech, your doing well, it's just a case of time..    ;D ...

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

myatt1972

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 10:26:05 PM »
Thanks David, missed you at the last meeting, didnt have anyone to explain the technical terms to me.
Wanted a chunky bowl with a thicker wall but took a huuuuge chunk out with a gouge so had a rethink, think it turned out better  ;D

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 10:46:23 PM »
Hi Keith,
Nice bowl,shape is good. Plain and simple designs are fine - sometimes us turners go overboard with details and end up with a piece that is distracting and unpleasant to the eye.
Regards
Ken

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 02:23:23 PM »
Thanks David, missed you at the last meeting, didnt have anyone to explain the technical terms to me.
Wanted a chunky bowl with a thicker wall but took a huuuuge chunk out with a gouge so had a rethink, think it turned out better  ;D

In the end events friday made it a non-starter for the Club..   >:( ...  it would have been a good meeting, only sorry not there myself..

Well the next can be chucky, as you've learnt making one thin..   :D ..  alot of what we may do is or can be down to error at time's, all part of learning.. no piece is ever lost, even as fire wood...  am off to wash my mouth out...  with that note..

Jo's angel is a classic save, for all the design, at time's you never know what a piece may produce or as with yourself, something happens.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''