Author Topic: Old chuck I.D.  (Read 5671 times)

andersonec

Old chuck I.D.
« on: November 30, 2014, 11:55:55 AM »
Can anyone identify this old chuck and give me any information on it? it was fitted to an old Record DL24X and the thread is 3/4 x 16. I have no idea how it all works.

Thanks in advance.
Andy

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 11:57:49 AM by andersonec »

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
Re: Old chuck I.D.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 12:18:56 PM »
its a collet chuck i think,with around 5 mm of movement,so you have to be quite accurate with your sizes when fitting wood into it,the top bit screws in and out to tighten or losen depending wether its in expanding or contracting mode,there`s a cone that fits under the jaws maybe 2,one for contraction,the other for expansion,some have rubber bands on the jaws to keep them in place while fitting to the chuck to,hope this helps,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 12:46:47 PM »
Andy....as Eric says, it's a collet chuck. there's a cone shaped piece that, by moving inwards or outwards, forces the chuck jaws to expand or contract. The body of the chuck, and a ring that fits onto it, are threaded together, such that when you tighten or slacken them off, they shift the cone in or out and the expand or contract. You would normally have two 'C' spanners, but I see that there's only one there. Also, there's a lot of metal parts rubbing against each other, so they have to be kept very clean, otherwise they jam and ca be the devil's own work to free up.
It's possible that the maker was Peter Child, so it might be worth mailing the pictures to them and asking them for advise. I have always found them to be remarkably helpful
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 05:11:15 PM »
Andy I have a similar chuck in the darkest corner of my workshop but I do have the instruction manual for it. I will scan a copy and send it to you tomorrow evening.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 06:24:10 PM »
Andy I have a similar chuck in the darkest corner of my workshop but I do have the instruction manual for it. I will scan a copy and send it to you tomorrow evening.
....now, if that's not a perfect example of the power of this forum, nothing is!
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

andersonec

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 06:54:56 PM »

You sir, are a real star, and thanks to the rest of you chaps for the info.

Andy
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 06:59:21 PM by andersonec »

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 06:36:48 PM »
Hi Andy,
           PM sent.

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 09:10:05 PM »
Hi Andy,
          I have just sent it, let me know if there are any problems.

andersonec

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 10:18:26 AM »
Hi Andy,
          I have just sent it, let me know if there are any problems.

John, many thanks for the manual, it was good of you and is really appreciated, one or two bits missing but will contact Record Power to see if they can help. I have it printed now all I need to do is give it some treatment to bring it back up to scratch. I will post some pictures when done.

Andy

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 04:45:57 PM »
Hi Andy,
             glad to be of help, you might like to ask yourself, before you go spending hard earned money, why no one uses these chucks today. When they first came out it was like manna from heaven but compared to the modern chucks of today they are very hard work.

andersonec

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 07:34:15 PM »
Hi Andy,
             glad to be of help, you might like to ask yourself, before you go spending hard earned money, why no one uses these chucks today. When they first came out it was like manna from heaven but compared to the modern chucks of today they are very hard work.

Realised that when I looked at the manual John, but I will see if I can scrounge any bits from Record, tell em it's still under warranty or something.  ::)

Andy