Author Topic: First post! Coffee Scoops...  (Read 3489 times)

craggus2000

First post! Coffee Scoops...
« on: November 14, 2014, 01:14:07 PM »
Hi all,
This is my first post here, having just started turning pens, as a novice...
See the attached photos of my first efforts - Zebrano on one, and Jack Daniels barrel/Cocobolo on the other! I know the photo quality is bad, will work on a better background next time...
But I'm also looking for somewhere in the UK that I can get coffee scoop project kits from, similar to the attached one.

So far can only find them in the US, with extortionate postage! HAving real trouble trying to locate them in the UK.
Can anyone assist please?

Many thanks,
Craig

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
Re: First post! Coffee Scoops...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 01:35:35 PM »
Afraid I cannot help you in your search but wanted to say hello and welcome to the forum.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 05:13:13 PM »
have you tried those kitchen shops,don`t ask me the name,its gone out of my head as usual,they do alsorts of scoops and measures,maybe one can be adapted to your needs.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 05:50:01 PM »
Same here, I'm afraid, Craig, but welcome to you, always good to see new members.

By the way....I like the pens and am pleased that you have shaped them the way that you have - my pet hate is the bulbous shape that one often sees.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

craggus2000

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 10:56:29 PM »
have you tried those kitchen shops,don`t ask me the name,its gone out of my head as usual,they do alsorts of scoops and measures,maybe one can be adapted to your needs.
Hi Eric, yes I've looked at some, but admittedly far from all, but the mostly seem too expensive or look far too cheap...

craggus2000

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 10:58:16 PM »
By the way....I like the pens and am pleased that you have shaped them the way that you have - my pet hate is the bulbous shape that one often sees.

Les
Thanks les, yes I agree. I think they look rather unnatural compared to straight or even slightly concave shapes. Currently trying to come up with some more unusual shapes too...

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 11:01:48 PM »
Why not make the scoop yourself you don't need a project kit? Have a look here for example.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

craggus2000

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 11:09:34 PM »
I came across that earlier, but wanted to try some kits first to improve my skill more than anything. Don't think I'm good enough to go make one from scratch, but will have a go at some point.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 11:12:22 PM »
Most of it is basic turning, a little bowl and a spindle, go on no-one is watching LOL. You'd be surprised what you can do when you have a go.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities