Author Topic: Something ordinary and different  (Read 2894 times)

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
Something ordinary and different
« on: June 13, 2011, 12:00:20 PM »
Hi

Mrs A and myself are members of the local theatre group.  neither of us act, we just help out backstage and my role is making bits and pieces for the scenery.  This year we are doing an Agatha Christie ("and then there were none") at Gawsworth Hall near us - it is an Elizabethan house with a lawn where the action takes place.  They have a programme of events throughout the summer.  

Anyway, the set requires six posts for the landing stage (people arrive by boat).  So from a couple of lengths of 4 x 4 tannelised fence post I made these six posts.  The are 750mm high with a length of 12mm steel rod rammed up the base so they don't fall over.  

Great fun to make as no need to worry too much about the finish - they will be painted.  It took me an hour to turn all six and great exercise in pummels (or is it pommels).

I though I'd post just to show that I can do a bit of copy turning!! ;D ;D

Cheers Dave
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 12:05:30 PM by Dave Atkinson »

Offline Katchin

• bronze
Re: Something ordinary and different
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 12:10:29 PM »
Good use of an hour there  ;D
John Simon Lawrenson

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 10:47:57 PM »
hi Dave
Six in one hour that some going ::)
Good to see GREEN grass -  its all brown in the far east of the country :)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 11:16:45 PM »

Dave, 6 very nice post, detailed pommels and ball caps...  well done on the time.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 08:52:08 AM »
Thanks guys

It was an hour turning I marked them all out, centres marked etc, then ready, steady, go.  Must say i enjoyed the experience - just making shavings!

I have more artistic pieces to do now - blanks for apples and mushrooms at a National Trust event this weekend!  They want hands on and teh club is doing a demo.  It's a "wood weekend" at Quarry Bank Mill in Styal (South Manchester).  We have a marquee but I hope it stays dry, cos I look after the tent!

Cheers Atco