Author Topic: Strange question? Makers marks/Logo ID  (Read 10589 times)

Rlewisrlou666

Strange question? Makers marks/Logo ID
« on: October 20, 2014, 01:40:41 PM »
I have just had my Myford ML8 delivered and it came with a few chisels.
They have wood worm in the handles and surface rust on the tool bits/blades.
At least 2 are Rob Sorby and one has an Etched/Engraved Dove on the handle end of the blade.
Any ideas who made it guys?

What is the best option - replace the handles or treat the wood worm?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Strange question? Makers marks/Logo ID
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 01:47:03 PM »
Can't help with the dove logo but my advice would be to burn the handles and make new ones. Save the brass collar and re-use that though. Nice bit of spindle practice. Make sure you use a wood with a nice long grain though like ash if possible as they take a lot of stress when turning.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 07:29:21 PM »
To add to my strange questions.
What is everyone's stance on paint schemes?
The ML8 is going to need some new paint once I've given it a clean up and got it running smoothly as most of it has peeled off.

Option 1 shell out a tonne of cash on Myford Cream paint and put it back to factory.
Option 2 paint it a colour I'm going to be happy using for cheaper. (Probably Toolbox Red and Black)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 07:31:01 PM »
Whatever paint you use isn't going to make it work any better LOL. If you intend to eventually upgrade and sell however you are probably better doing it in the original factory colours.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 08:16:09 PM »
I don't like the awkward set up of the Record CL3

The DML18SH is £225.

The top Myford has been sprayed with cheap paint and the bed is full of what looks like either a birds nest or squirrels nest.

The Silver one is missing the bench.

The work isn't an issue it just means more fun for me stripping it and rebuilding it.
I only paid £80 for mine delivered to my door with a handful of chisels plus what ever else they find for it while clearing out the barn.

Thanks for the links though.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 10:27:09 PM »

Hi Ryan, You've the basis of the makings of a good lathe, looks complete and it was and still is a popular lathe.

Your question was on the cost of a repaint... I'd look at more the price of refurbishment... free off, strip and clean all parts. I'm wondering on the last time the drive spur had been removed, if at all or the threads used on the spindle, both are well rusted and spur looks fixed solid, likely to damage both and the bearing/s trying to remove .. then the parts are plentiful if not new, then second hand.

You said it runs smoothly ... my own concern for your safety is that the cables, well outer case appear aged and cracked and no doubt breaking down maybe inside as well, could short, catch fire or blow your fuses.. the motor it is hoped is also healthy, can't tell from the picture.

As you're set on keeping it, should you get it back in full working order, it will be a lathe to serve you well and have a good resale value when you look to replace it in the future. 

Color .. the cream need not be factory original, you see many lathes painted to personal liking.   

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 07:32:55 AM »
Hi Ryan...I admire a bloke who'll take on a challenge like that. It reminds me of when I bought a dilapidated narrow-boat several years ago and did a complete refit on it. The distinct advantage was that I knew that boat inside out - as you will get to know the lathe. I wish you well with your project.
You might find the 'Lathes' website useful...here's a link to the ML8 page... http://www.lathes.co.uk/myfordwood/index.html.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 07:43:22 AM »
Thanks for the advice David,

The wiring is going to be replaced it is very knackered I haven't opened the control box as of yet that is my job for today. :)
I plugged it in to see if it did run and sounded to be running smoothly with no nasty grinding noises but I only ran it for a few seconds.

I have a 2 1/4 HP treadmill motor complete with control board and digital control unit that will be going in it when everything is cleaned up.
Full treadmill cost me £10 from a guy in my street who had sheered a tension bolt.
With that fitted I will have variable speed capable of both higher and lower RPM with finer control over speed and 2 more ponies worth of torque.

In regards to the actual refurbishment of the lathe itself I was thinking WD40 for releasing nuts/bolts.
Most of them just needed a little nudge and are turning free well.
It took me about 5 mins to get the toolrest and tailstock running relatively free only catching on the patches of rust on the bed itself.
Any suggestions for getting the spur out with minimal hitting with knocking sticks?

In my last post I mentioned Squirrels nest in the bed, I know because mine had Squirrels living in it the bed was full of munched hazelnut shells and leaves. lol
As for paint I think I will decide once I'm happy everything is clean/free of crud and rust and working smoothly I just wanted to ask peoples opinion before a got slammed for not staying true to form.

Thanks again for all your help so far guys I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get stuck in.
I'm used to fixing cars/custom bikes/building PCs and designing games so restoring a lathe is a first for me.

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 07:46:13 AM »
Thanks for the Link Les.

I ordered on of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191175663374?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=490329067131&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT so I'm just waiting till that turns up either today or tomorrow before I really get stuck in.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 08:57:22 AM »
I think I would but a can of Hammerite and spray paint it. A good, tough finish. Be careful not to get WD40 in the bearingood luck.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 09:25:20 AM »
It sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun with this. I wish you well with it.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 11:43:17 AM »
I just wanted to ask peoples opinion before a got slammed for not staying true to form.

...not on this forum, Ryan...one thing that you will find is that there are plenty of free-thinking people using this forum. Yes, there are, and always will be traditionalists, but you'll always be forgiven for heading off in your own direction.

Les

p.s. ... I do hope that you keep us informed as to the progress of this project. It has a little significance to me as I used an ML* when I was in school.
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 11:44:35 AM »
I think the Manual is still available as a download from Myford but if not let me know as I still  have my copy that I can send you. I still have my ML8 in the shed all be it in bits. -- Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Rlewisrlou666

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 12:09:15 PM »
Hi Les,
Where would be the best place to post up a W.I.P so I can update on my progress as I go. For my own personal use and for anyone else that decide to take on something like this.

Hi Julian,
Myford seem to have stricken the ML8 from their site, I have the Assembly manual on its way to me that should be here today or tomorrow I'm hoping that helps me somewhat. What are you going to be doing with your ML8?