Author Topic: Who is demo'ing where?  (Read 3918 times)

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
Who is demo'ing where?
« on: October 14, 2014, 03:18:08 PM »
Is there a need for a central list of who is demonstrating where? In our area we have 3 clubs and I find that the same demonstrators move between all 3 within a short period of time.

Whilst this obviously means the demonstrator is good and clubs want them, there might be more mileage for a combined event or better scheduling for travel etc.

What does everyone think??

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Who is demo'ing where?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 05:45:49 PM »
dave i think it is a brilliant idea but it would be a nightmare to co-ordinate so as to please all concerned.

Kevin Hanley

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 07:50:41 PM »
What about a bit of communication and cooperation between clubs instead?

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 08:39:48 PM »

A lot of clubs have a web site with their programme/meetings/demonstrators on could this not be used our club shows this if you want to look go to

www.burcotwoodturners.co.uk you will see under Meetings our 2014 & 2015 programme.

Regards John 
John Smith

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 09:29:45 PM »
A lot of clubs do have their program online but we could do with a central register. I see you have one demonstrator who will be with us a few months earlier. Not a problem in this instance because of the distance between our clubs, but this situation is getting to be common up this part of the world.

I agree better communication between clubs is an answer.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 10:52:16 PM »

Interesting question again raised on not just Demonstrations, but Demonstrators and the quick rotations within a Club or Clubs.

As with any Club, cost is a factor in who or how many Demonstrators may appear over the course of the year, how well that person is received with their demo, recalled and how local depending on travel costs .. John BHT has highlighted this in the previous thread.. as you've mentioned yourself and the Turner whose just too far away to be viable.

There maybe is no reason why, if there are 2-3 local Clubs they couldn't each pool one evening/days demonstration fund together, find a convenient time and which location to use and have that Turner for a days demonstration, people will travel to see a demo, after all it has been done, take Terry Scott and his visit and you're looking to setup meetings for Mike Hunter, how many more events have been done in the past.

Just see what has been achieved at Woodworks@Daventry by Clubs coming together.

Just an idea.  Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 01:15:20 AM »
There's always the events list on the AWGB website but only a small proportion of the clubs make use of it.

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 10:30:43 AM »
A lot of clubs do have their program online but we could do with a central register. I see you have one demonstrator who will be with us a few months earlier. Not a problem in this instance because of the distance between our clubs, but this situation is getting to be common up this part of the world.

I agree better communication between clubs is an answer.

David
Hi Dave,
I was under the impression that was exactly what the Events section of this forum was for. I post details of the Derwent Woodturners Club meetings for just this purpose.

I use two postings, one has a  block list of meetings for the next six months or so, and I update that when I have the next block ready.

The other posting has details of just the next two meetings. I delete that post once the event has taken place, replacing it with the next two meetings. I do this so as not to clutter up the website with historic data. Maybe I could request other posters do likewise, as I find it very irritating to read of an event only to realise it's been and gone. It also means our event is always near the top of the events section  ;D

Regarding websites, I realise many clubs have websites for this purpose but we don't have one for a slightly unusual reason. The club set a limit on the number of members, which we have almost reached. If we had a website, that could be seen as an invite to join the club. I already find it embarrassing when discussing woodturning at craft fairs and the like, when my recommendation to any budding turner is to find and join their local club, has to be countered by my having to say, "but, sorry, our club is full at the moment". We would love to have more members, and I will stand by my recommendation to join a club, but the practicalities have to be considered. By the way, I DO pass on details of other local clubs and suggest they take a look at the AWGB site.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 01:34:46 PM »
I'll add a personal tale here.

When I was the Event Manager for the ABWT club I recieved a phone call from a RPT who had been engaged to do an all day weekend demo with a club about an hour from us. As he was having to come a log distance he wanted to know if we would like him to do the other weekend say, it would halve the travel & subsitance costs for both of us and make it more worthwhile for him.

Great idea except it was only a lead time of a couple of weeks, not enough time to advertise, get expressions of interest or bookings enough to make it worthwhile.

A great idea I appaluded, and maybe more travelling demonstrators should follow that lead (but allow longer lead times), or clubs should communicate more redilly about what/who/when they are booking.

Not sure cross booking for club night would work, chances are the nearby clubs do not meet on consecutive evenings, but weekends would work very well.

This was done for the UK visit of Rolly Monro. At the Burnham club, we managed to get him for a Saturday, advertised it well and had an excellent attendance, most from other clubs, many from further away than you'd think likely.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 04:41:36 PM »
I see that the Events section is not well used.

I agree we have the opportunity to get clubs together for meetings like the Rolly Munro tour.

We have tried one day demos (Jimmy Clewes Masterclass) and yes, it is a good way to get our mystery turner from Doncaster at the club, but as always, we have to judge if we can cover costs.

Respect to Woodworks - it's a great show!

David
David
At The Cutting Edge