Author Topic: Detail sander  (Read 13727 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Detail sander
« on: October 08, 2014, 07:51:59 PM »
I'm trying to identify a detail sander that can be used inside bowls that have natural features, like undulating bark-edges or bark inclusions....so the sander would be used with the bowl static, not revolving. One important feature would need to be a cranked head, so that it could reach into a small, confined space. Proxxon do a tool that looks like a modern multi-tool, and I found it on Amazon USA at $142, which equates to about £88. Here's the sting....when I checked Amazon UK, I find that it's £257.

Anybody out there got equipment like this.....somebody must have one!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

PhilipS

Re: Detail sander
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 11:19:53 PM »
Les,

It would be helpful to post a link to the tool you are mentioning above so that we can see what you are after and what suggestions could be made.

Philip

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 05:04:26 AM »
It's this sort of thing...but its price is crazy, especially when they're available at such a reasonable price in the States.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cutting-Edge-Proxxon-OZI-Multi-Tool/dp/B00IEHVEG0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1412827323&sr=8-3&keywords=proxxon+multi+tool

Les

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 07:58:14 AM »
Half the price here Les

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 08:09:05 AM »
I am not sure what is happening there. The same seller is selling the shaft and cutter head of the Rolly Munro hollowing tool new , ( i.e., missing the handle and some other bits ) for over £400 when the complete item is available from Toolpost for less than £200
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

PhilipS

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 08:31:55 AM »
£107 at Axminster Tools inc vat.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:53:08 AM by PhilipS »

PhilipS

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 08:49:24 AM »
For very small detail sanding you might consider modifying an electric tooth brush. Cut the bristles off use self adhesive Velcro to hold abranet or similar cut to size. I have also made very thin, curved, shaped sanding sticks from plastic and sheet aluminium using Velcro. Conventional hand toothbrushes with bristles removed work too. If you look for Permagrit online they do a thin sheet material that last longer than sandpaper and is effective on harder woods it can also be double sided taped to holders. Depends what detail you want to sand.

Philip

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 08:52:12 AM »
Thanks, everyone.....I've also spotted several similar, multi-function tools available through people like Argos, B&Q, Amazon etc. Some are known brands, some not, but I need something for very occasional use, so would not be prepared to pay a high price for it. Has anyone got experience of other makes? Surely somebody out there is already using one!

Here's a few links to show what I've seen for sale...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-PMF-190-Multifunctional-Allrounder/dp/B0091GDVZK/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1412840352&sr=8-13&keywords=multi+tool

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7112472.htm?_$ja=tsid:14066|cc:|prd:7112472|cat:home+and+garden+%2F+diy+tools+and+power+tools+%2F+diy+power+tools+%2F+multi+purpose+power+tools

http://www.diy.com/departments/mac-allister-220w-corded-mmt220-multi-tool/189190_BQ.prd

Les

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 08:53:05 AM »
For very small detail sanding you might consider modifying an electric tooth brush.

Brilliant idea!
Les

PhilipS

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 09:09:32 AM »
I have had the Fein version for a number of years, it is really more suited to flat surfaces. With some thought you may be able to make or modify some attachments of you own design and use Velcro type sanding sheet. You could possibly modify the tang one of the attachments that fits onto the unit and screw fit your own shapes to it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 09:18:39 AM by PhilipS »

PhilipS

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 10:17:57 AM »
Referring back to another thread - this is where Skype would be helpful, I could show you a variety of options.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
i take it that a dremel won't be useful in this instance?

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 12:25:03 PM »
I have a couple of detail sanders, one from Wickes which works fine. I have modified one with a long plate to attach sand paper to with hook and loop fastener. I also have just acquired a Proxxon long neck grinder at about £100. You can fit onto this various sanding attachments. For this I have just purchased a couple of flap sanders and a ceramic fine sander from Saburr Tooth via Toolpost. The idea of using an electric toothbrush modified is great for small inaccessible areas. Malcolm.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 12:46:23 PM »
i take it that a dremel won't be useful in this instance?

Hi Steve...the reason I'm not going down the Dremel road is that I want the drive to be at 90 degrees to the body of the machine, so that I can reach inside some bowls I'm making out of ash-branch cancers that are about 6" outside diameter. I can easily sand the bottom of the inside of the bowls, but up around the wings they become very fragmented....lots of bark and gaps. I thought of one of these multi tools and of making up my own backing-pads for the abrasive such that they were a flexible, convex shape, thus helping them to sand the inner, convex shape of the bowl wings.

Les

Offline Mike Amphlett

• iron