Author Topic: This sounds ridicules but.....  (Read 7884 times)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: This sounds ridicules but.....
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 11:49:10 PM »

Link to video on a catch, blink you'll miss it .. http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,530.0.html ... not for the faint hearted.
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 11:55:50 PM »
[with time to come you will gain the expertise to use whatever tool you want to on any item you wish...

Hi seventhdvil, I am sorry I do not agree with the the last line of your posting you never ever use a Roughing Gouge on the inside of a Bowl

Regards John
[/quote]

perhaps i should add that i agree with you john on the inside of a bowl a roughing gouge should never be used...

i should have said that i've occasionally used it on the out side to speed up the removal of wood but on the whole i use  a 3/4" bowl gouge. i never use the roughing gouge on a square bowl blank...

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 12:17:18 PM »

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 12:58:46 PM »
This one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOhHeyoZLaY

A drastic demonstration but it hopefully has the desired effect. Not worth the risk IMHO.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline SalineMan

• bronze
  • A Kildare Man living in Saline, Fife. Scotland
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2014, 03:04:48 PM »
Sine man I echo what everyone else is saying in as much as you should never use a roughing gouge on faceplate work, despite what seventhdevil may say. What is more disconcerting however is the fact that you were told to use it during a woodturning class. Can I assume that the tutor was not a professional turner? If he was please would you be good enough to PM me his details so that I may contact him in my official capacity as Health and safety rep.
Somewhere on you tube there is a film of someone showing why this tool should not be used for that purpose....he has an accident similar to the one you are very lucky to have avoided so far. In Richard Raffan's excellent video about tooling catches he will only describe it because demonstrating it is too dangerous.

You may wish to review the methods already taught you so feel free to either PM me about it or give me your details and I will put you in touch with someone that can teach you properly.
Regards
John Aitken RPT
AWGB H&S rep
Qualified adult Educator.

Didn't realise what a can of worms I'd opened!

Coincidentally, I was reading an old issue of "Woodturning" (no. 181 Dec 2007) in bed last night. Looking at an article on hollowing by Nick Arnull (pages 8 - 11). He mounts a large log approx. 200mm x 350mm . After roughing down with a large bowl gouge, he then, once balanced, switches to a Spindle Roughing Gouge (top left hand picture. Step 3).

Granted there is a difference in grain direction to the blank I was working, and Nick Arnull has probably forgotten more about woodturning than I will ever know. Still though, what we see in pictures is what we tend to take at face value, perhaps without the benefit of all the background knowledge we should have.

How big is this tin............. 
Conviction will divide many, doubt will unite them

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2014, 09:57:44 PM »
I do not have that article but would imagine the the grain direction was as you would find on a spindle turning.In which case there is nothing wrong with that but usually when people talk of bowl turning or faceplate turning they are referring to cross grain turning. I very much doubt that Nick used a roughing gouge on a cross grain bowl. I do think however ,that whoever has been giving lessons to salineman they need to clarify the point at the next lesson.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 11:14:01 AM »
The Only time you use a spindle roughing gauge is on spindle blanks,IE:grain running from headstock to tailstock and the outside of an endgrain bowl,STRESS the outside,as this has the same direction as a spindle,but never ever on the inside,if used on cross grain/sidegrain,the tool can be bent/broken and you really can lose fingers and thumbs,its bad enough having a major dig with a skew on spindlework,but I think you have to be pretty foolish to use a spindle roughing gauge on the inside/outside of a crossgrain bowl,Regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2014, 05:10:44 PM »

Let us make it "CLEAR UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES USE A ROUGHING GOUGE ON THE INSIDE OF A BOWL"

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2014, 08:09:03 PM »
Not wishing to go against the flow here, but Ashley Isles does do a roughing gouge which is ground from a solid bar as are bowl gouges.

It has no weak spots like the thinner tang etc., but it is only available in the same diameters as the bowl gouges. So no real advantage for using it over a proper bowl gouge.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2014, 05:38:15 PM »
It's not only the tang though is it but the way it is ground.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2014, 06:02:09 PM »
Last week I had the pleasure of a visit to Ashley Iles. Tony personally reground my 19mm bowl gouge to a fingernail shape, I had tried! This gouge is the same diameter all the way along and is definitely a bowl gouge as it had the 'super flute' profile. There is no harm in using a bowl gouge on a spindle, and I have used it in this way. Having seen the machine I can say the tangs are NOT ground but stamped, whether that makes a difference to the strength, I do not know. Tony Iles told us that although he owns the machine he does not have the certification to use it!

A great day out and Tony will take tours round the factory if you contact him and arrange a date.

All this stems from my post regarding the use of roughing gouges on a bowl, I think John d Smith should have the final word

Ron

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2014, 10:19:40 PM »
Hi Ron,
            I had my last word on my last post ;D Regards John
John Smith