Author Topic: Dust Extraction Options  (Read 3386 times)

Paul Disdle

Dust Extraction Options
« on: August 19, 2014, 11:24:54 AM »
Rutlands have dust extraction on offer at the moment

www.rutlands.co.uk/pp+woodworking-workshop-equipment-dust-collection-dust-extractors-vacuums+d01104

Which is the better option the chip and dust extractor or the Two Stage Air Filtration System I can only afford one.

Thanks

Paul

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Dust Extraction Options
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 12:06:27 PM »

Hi Paul, the main objective is to catch as much of the dust at source with sanding or from the bandsaw.

I'd only a vac for this purpose for many years, since then, with a Micro-clean filter it can be surprising how much can get pass or we create more dust than we think in any operation.

IMHO C&D Extractor... I'll stand to be corrected.

I'm watching for the Cyclone Dust Collector to be in stock to pre-collect dust and give the vac filter an easier longer life.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 09:27:14 AM »
Hi Paul,
Although I would agree with David's comment about collecting as much of the dust at source, most of these twin bag chip and dust extractors only use a cloth bag as the filter, so fine dust gets back into the workshop. You can get fine filters for these extractors but they are quite expensive. Alternatively, if practical, site the extractor outside the workshop, where dust that passes through will not be a problem.
On that basis, I would go for the Air Filter and locate it near the lathe. You will be surprised how effective this type of recirculatory filters can be. But I would use a cheap vacuum cleaner to provide localised extraction and still wear a mask when sanding.

Ideally have both the twin bag extractor and the filter, but I appreciate cost is a significant factor for everyone.

One idea, for saving money, if you do go for a twin bag extractor, I use ventilation ducting (from Screwfix and other suppliers) for my dust extaction system. I have rectangular box section across the roof of my workshop and the flexible PVC pipe for local connections to the extractor and the lathe hood. Yes, this stuff IS flimsier than 'proper' dust extraction accessories but it is also MUCH cheaper. And before anyone says the flexible hose won't last - one 3m section behind my lathe (cost £3.99) is just over five years old, with only one piece of gaffer tape to patch a hole!
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 03:43:41 PM »
that cyclonic dust collector bin looks like a good idea,I`m sure I`ve seen plans to convert a dustbin into one of these somewhere though,that might be an option and a bigger collection bin to,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 04:23:18 PM »
i'm attracted to that too and wish to build my own if i ever get round to it.