Author Topic: Worst tool you've had  (Read 3747 times)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Worst tool you've had
« on: June 08, 2011, 09:42:59 PM »
I've titled this as from a prompt, from something Lew had mentioned in another post, which was his total dislike of and to what had been the dangers with the RS2000 as a tool.

Has any one else had any form of tool or equipment, not just turning, which has not performed, failed, been faulty, dangerous or just not been able to get it to do as it said 'on the box' or demo...   I think we can all put the skew as a starter.. which has been mastered..   :'( ..  but what have you had problems with, in the past or now..  

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

theblindwoodturner

Re: Worst tool you've had
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 01:02:38 PM »
Black & Decker (1999 -2011) say no more lol

I miss the way tools used to be designed. None of this cheap stuff like it comes out now, overmoulded bodywork, modern over attractive design. etc.

Bring things back to when tools and equipment used to last a lifetime.

lol

The gerbil has stopped having an argument with a CD. it ate it. oh well just goes to show gerbils have pretty good taste in music lol (CHER!)

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 03:41:58 PM »
As a young sprog I was an engineering apprentice but slowly grew to dispise working in metal so boogered off to join the army. A lifetime later I had the urge to regain something of my youth and signed on at night school to build a lathe from scratch. It took me two and a half years to complete but was totally Currrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrap from day one (it was geared up too fast and didn't have space for a change of pulleys). It finally went to auction and raised something like a £10....far more than it was worth.
'Who yer gonna blame?'    Brian's flustered ;)
Brian

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 08:12:40 PM »
Don't discount the Skew, it is my Favourite tool (I've over a dozen of them) - however I can't get the Triangle point tool to do anything it's claimed to be able to do except chew bits off my turnings.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 09:31:10 PM »
I can remember wanting a hollowing tool and an experienced, professional turner advising me against buying a ring tool so I got a big brother instead, never managed to get it to go like it should have so I got a ring tool anyway and never had any trouble with it at all.
regards
John

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 09:47:18 PM »
I love using ring tools. I find the control is better in most cases for me than a standard bowl gauge. Just don't put an RS2000 in my direction. I may just melt it down and make a better tool lol.

I used to own an RS2000 and it was a nightmare. talk about extremely dangerous. Now you'd think for a tool which has locking handles that each spindle of the tool would have flats as well as dimples for the bolts to pin to. no such thing. The rs2000 is completely round. there is a ring point but no security. I was working with this to produce a large form as a wedding present and as I started cutting, it just undone itself causing the cutter to move. retightened it and it happened again and again. I got that sick of it that it was sold days later. I couldn't believe that Robert Sorby would design a tool which is basically a death trap to a turner.

have fun and happy shavings.

lew and team of gerbils.