Author Topic: Best Circular Saw Blade to cut Segments  (Read 3130 times)

Offline paulkane1

• iron
Best Circular Saw Blade to cut Segments
« on: August 11, 2014, 10:58:34 AM »
Could someone on this forum give me some advise,on ,what is the best blade to buy,for cutting Segments?I have just purchased a Axminister 10 inch,cast iron table saw, I see there is a Freud Blade,for sale,it's a Freud Pro,LP60M001, would it suit a circular saw,or is it a Miter Saw Blade?Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

Offline malcy

• gold
Re: Best Circular Saw Blade to cut Segments
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 05:13:56 PM »
Hi Paul. I cut thousands of segments for my segmented turnings. I use a Dewalt mitre saw with it's standard blade. That is a 250mm diameter with 60 teeth per inch. The kerf is 3.2mm and the teeth are tct.  I find it excellent for this type of work. I used to use a table saw with sled and found I had to sand the segments before gluing. I recently bought a table saw (Charnwood) and threw the blade out as it seemed incapable of giving any where near a good cut. I bought a Ebaur blade from Axminster and that is a vast improvement. However it is not just the blade that matters to give a good edge ready for gluing. Saw blade throw out at near to zero and good blade alignment are essential also. I know a lot of the guys that I correspond with in USA, swear by Festool saws and blades, but they seem ridiculously expensive to me. I would go for a good quality blade with 60 to 80 teeth per inch and a kerf of around 3mm. The thinner blades could give some vibration leading to less than smooth edges. Hope this helps. Malcolm.

Offline malcy

• gold
Re: Best Circular Saw Blade to cut Segments
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 08:23:31 AM »
Sorry. My note says the blades were 60 to80 teeth per inch. That should not be per inch. Malcolm.