Author Topic: Lubricating Band-saw blades  (Read 8701 times)

Offline MCB

• gold
Lubricating Band-saw blades
« on: July 23, 2014, 12:24:09 AM »
I heard somebody suggest the other day that it's “good” to lubricate a band-saw blade.

If that was true - and I  don't know - what sort of lubrication should  one use?

And, if it's true - surely band-saw blade retailers would  sell it?

I  look forward to reading your  comments

MCB

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: Lubricating Band-saw blades
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 12:27:53 AM »
not 100% necessary but some people do it.

get some 100% beeswax and touch the flat areas of the band as it goes round. if you are cutting material that has the potential to pinch then this would be recommended.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 12:55:01 AM »

Am I correct that larger Millsaws due to size of cut or sap spray a coolant/cleaner, more that a lubricate.

I'd not come across the question before and would be concerned about the rubber tires and drive belt.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 05:57:42 AM »
I heard somebody suggest the other day that it's “good” to lubricate a band-saw blade.

I suspect that this was a remark borne of circumstances at the time. We've all (probably) reached for a candle to rub the sole of a plane or the cheeks of a handsaw when a particular piece of wood wants to stick itself to the hand-tool and make our best efforts insufficient. i can understand that using a lubricant can be beneficial on a bandsaw in certain circumstances, but surely not as a general rule - a need for persistent use is probably indicative of a blunt, poorly set blade.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 07:41:59 AM »
I used to operate a large bandsaw when I worked for a joinery company, the blade on this thing was 27' long.
 It had a reservoir that you would fill each day before work with a mixture of (very) light oil and paraffin, on some occasions we would use diesel oil. It was not for lubrication, although I am sure it did lubricate to a certain extent, but it was to stop the sap sticking to the blades and pulleys.
     On smaller band saws I cannot see the need to lubricate unless you cut up loads of wet or "sappy" wood. It is probably more important to ensure that the saw is regularly maintained and that the correct blade is used for the job.The introduction of a wet lubricant will only cause sawdust to solidify which will in turn produce problems of it's own.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 07:48:19 AM »
I have just recently cut some very old pitch pine and the resin that came of that on the bandsaw blade cause a problem, the next time I'm cutting it I was going to try candle wax to see it would save the bandsaw blade, so I can see why people would recommend it.

Ed

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 08:26:03 AM »
An occasional light spray of dry lube might be helpful sometimes though I have never felt the need.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 11:01:06 AM »
There are lots of diffrent thing that you can do to a band saw but really if it is set up 100% it wont need any thing
the only thing i lubracate is the bed .
there is a film on you tube of an american seting up a band saw and its one of the best i have seen i will see if i can track it down for you .

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 03:11:43 PM »
Ah, I've seen Alex Snodgrass on the Carter stand at the AAW show in Phoenix.

He did a set-up and then demo'd the Carter circular cutting attachment (only $68 plus sales tax!) which is fine if you need to cut a hell of a lot of blanks.

Alex was slicing a ring off of a round of timber - like slicing an apple.

He does have a way about him and managed to get a crowd of us watching the demo- not sure how many units he sold but the Carter stand usually does good business.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 10:17:20 AM »
I have just recently cut some very old pitch pine and the resin that came of that on the bandsaw blade cause a problem, the next time I'm cutting it I was going to try candle wax to see it would save the bandsaw blade, so I can see why people would recommend it.
Ed
One trick for cleaning mucky bandsaw blades is to take them off the saw, coil them up, then put them in a bowl/ bag with oven cleaner. Most of these cleaners have caustic soda in them so use gloves, eye protection etc. to keep yourself 'safe'.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 11:03:06 AM »

[/quote]
One trick for cleaning mucky bandsaw blades is to take them off the saw, coil them up, then put them in a bowl/ bag with oven cleaner. Most of these cleaners have caustic soda in them so use gloves, eye protection etc. to keep yourself 'safe'.
[/quote]
When serving in HM Forces I once did this with the gas plug from my SLR, it took the carbon off a treat but turned the top of the plug a funny colour which was spotted by the Cpl and so that was another 14 days jankers!! >:( >:( >:(

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 08:41:59 PM »
I wonder what all this lubrication will do to the rubber tyres on the wheels? Surely these need friction to drive  the blade. The only thing I do with mine is the take a diamond file to the back of the blade to take off the corners. I don't do that now as I have switched to Tuff Saw blades
Ron

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 09:10:13 PM »
if lubrication is used it is only applied to the side that the wheels don't touch...

that is usually enough for any problem to resolve.