Author Topic: Double sided tape  (Read 5102 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Double sided tape
« on: July 16, 2014, 08:05:41 PM »
Would anybody care to tell me where I can buy really good double sided tape. I had a roll in my toolbox, and I've used it for sticking turned pendants into a dish-shaped chuck to turn the reverse side, but this roll has run out and the carpet tape that I'm trying to use simply isn't up to the job.

Any leads will be appreciated....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Double sided tape
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 08:24:31 PM »

I noticed rolls in Asda today for £2:00 each, how good, equally good question. Failing that DIY chain.

Most say carpet tape, just read (where!!!) someone using cloth tape as had better surface adhesion between uneven surfaces.

Cheers  Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 08:33:06 PM »
3M do good quality tape.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 08:37:51 PM »
Cheers Dewi....it's a start. One other problem with the cheap carpet tape than I tried to use today, was that it was a pain in the a*** to peel off the back of the pendant. Whereas the good quality stuff came away cleanly, this cheap stuff doesn't roll up into a handy little ball, it just goes gooey and leaves a sticky residue.

Have been trying to do a bit of research, but I guess that word of mouth from people's experience is going to be the best way. Has anybody tried Duck Tape double sided?

Les

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 08:39:10 PM »
3M do good quality tape.

Sounds good....it's a good name to trust. I'll have to drive over to a nearby town as we're a bit out-in-the-sticks at Bala....it's cheapo carpet tape or nothing here!

Les

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 08:40:54 PM »
I'm with David, Carpet Tape, it's good for small things. But check the quality, some are double sided plastic, others have a material base.

And I'm also with David that there is another one, sort of a glass fibre base, some sort of packaging tape but I can't place where I've seen it advertised or used either.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 07:58:15 PM »
I use double sided tape a lot and I use the cheapo stuff from a market stall. To get the best from it, and to ensure the work piece stays put I use the stuff double, put one layer on the face plate and one layer on the work piece and rub both on fairly hard. peel the backing off and carefully position the work piece over the face plate and press down. You only get one go at this, it puts contact adhesive to shame for speed! Press them together well in a vice or use clamps.
Getting it off is another story, for larger items a thin scraper to start off slide it between the two parts and a wide bladed lever to separate them. Cleaning it off is a bit messy, a hot air gun will melt the adhesive and lift off the tape, then a bit of rag and some white spirit will get the glue off, oh and some elbow grease comes in handy.

I also use it to stick down adhesive paper to a board recycled from a cupboard and flatten boxes et cetra

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 09:16:19 PM »
Prefer to use hot glue myself. Feels safer somehow and I can even use it on odd shaped things like burrs. Not too difficult to get off either.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Richard Findley

• bronze
    • The Turner's Workshop
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 10:33:51 PM »
It always amazes me how often turners use hot glue and double sided tape. I have never once found the need for it. Not saying its wrong, just I find it strange...

Richard
See more of my work at www.turnersworkshop.co.uk
Follow on Instagram: https://instagram.com/richard_findley

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 11:51:28 PM »
Richard

There's not a lot to stick on a spindle  :)

Great demo at Faversham by the way

Ed