Author Topic: Spindle Oil for Record Power CL3  (Read 3403 times)

Offline SalineMan

• bronze
  • A Kildare Man living in Saline, Fife. Scotland
Spindle Oil for Record Power CL3
« on: May 05, 2014, 12:09:57 PM »
Have just bought a second hand CL3. Reading through the manual (yes,I have read it!) I find a passage that tells me to keep the spindle oiled through the wee aperature just on top of the bearing housing.

I priced the said oil on the RP website............£12.99 for 100ml !!

Anyone know what is in this oil? Would something 20 or 30 grade engine oil do just as well. I'm thinking 3in1 would be too light.

I'll buy from the RP site if I have to, but £12.99 is extracting urine.
(maybe I've been living in Scotland too long!!!)
Conviction will divide many, doubt will unite them

Offline tombo

• iron
    • tombiddulph.co.uk
Re: Spindle Oil for Record Power CL3
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 10:53:20 PM »
Yes. SAE30 engine oil is absolutely fine.  20SAE might be a bit thin.  You don't need a lot, just each time you start the session, and now and again when you think of it !  You'll know when it needs it :  common sense !  I've had an old Coronet CL3 as my mid sized lathe for years now with no problems.

Offline SalineMan

• bronze
  • A Kildare Man living in Saline, Fife. Scotland
Re: Spindle Oil for Record Power CL3
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 04:08:49 PM »
Yes. SAE30 engine oil is absolutely fine.  20SAE might be a bit thin.  You don't need a lot, just each time you start the session, and now and again when you think of it !  You'll know when it needs it :  common sense !  I've had an old Coronet CL3 as my mid sized lathe for years now with no problems.
Having read many quotes on various websites, I bit the bullet and bought the stuff from RP on the basis that if  anything ever went wrong at least I can say hand on heart I followed the manual to the letter. As it only needs a few drops, the wee bottle should last a while.

I must say, what I find particularly irritating is that the bottle they supply does not have a dropper spout!!

Anyway, onward and upward.
Conviction will divide many, doubt will unite them