Author Topic: First time with Ash.  (Read 3177 times)

Offline Katchin

• bronze
First time with Ash.
« on: May 22, 2011, 05:37:43 PM »
What great wood to work with!

John Simon Lawrenson

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: First time with Ash.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 06:21:57 PM »

Hi John,  Ash is very nice to work with, has alot of usages and lends it's self to different finishes, like liming, gilts and stain..   You've made an excellent classic form and finished it well, the recess is not out of place, it's clean, maybe when you cut them in the future, add a few V's or beads for a detail within it, it takes the eye off how it was where it had been chucked.

What size is it and finish have you used on it.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 06:34:05 PM »
6.5" diameter, sanded, then cellulose sanding sealer, micro crystalline wax, chestnut buffing wheel. I really should experiment more with finishes, as I always use these   :D
John Simon Lawrenson

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 08:02:32 PM »
Hi John,
           a very nice bowl and nicely finished. Ash is one of my favourite woods to work with ( I'm still looking for one I don't like, other than Iroko). As David has said there is loads you can do with it from a decorating standpoint. As for finishing,sometimes the finish you find easiest to apply is the one you stick with most of the time, I don't see a problem there.
Regards
John

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 09:30:23 PM »
Hi John,Nice Bowl I like to turn Ash but it plays havoc with my Sinuses even when I wear a respirator.I think if you like using a particular finish carry on using it but experiment with others who knows you may find one you like better.Regards John 
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 01:47:10 AM »

Hi John, If it works as a finish, which it looks to do, don't change it..  I went to using oil for sometime, but as with most of the finishes I still have, some which are old, the oil which I was using, I found would darken the wood to much, maybe because in changing it's container, it looks black..  I've just got the microcrytalline wax and have thinned down the cellulose s/s I had and gone to using them now, I'd also been using friction polish, but that would fade an go flat, but then finishing can be as long as turning, so a rushed finish maybe the answer there.  I've yet to get a buffing system, it's the cost against, will it work well.

John, (tbht) I'll add Goncalo Alves, to your Iroko, you don't get real shaving and it's very dusty, you only notice it by a layer on every surface and most is from turning, that's with the microclean on...

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''