Author Topic: Walnut Vase / Hollow Form  (Read 2566 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Walnut Vase / Hollow Form
« on: April 24, 2014, 11:58:15 PM »
Hi All

Another piece of work that has just been finished started it 2 months ago, 240mm (91/2") high 100mm (4") diameter turned to about 4mm thick

thanks for looking

Ed

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Walnut Vase / Hollow Form
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 12:20:11 AM »

Ed, it's to congratulate you on an exceptionally well turned piece, nice flowing form and excellent finish, what did you use.

Be very pleased, this is a lovely piece, would call it a Vase, not closed to be a Hollow form ... could be told one's wrong.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 06:23:52 AM »
Thank you David

It had one coat of Danish oil then three coats of Briwax clear beeswax sanded to 400 grit.

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 07:16:51 AM »
Hi Ed....it's a fine piece. As I recall, walnut is not the most forgiving of woods and in my early days turning I spent more time sanding that tooling it, but you have an excellent finish.
Deep hollowing is something I've not mastered yet, mainly because I've not got any suitable tools for the job. I'd be interested to know what equipment you have for hollowing.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 07:48:19 PM »

Hi Ed    The shape you have chosen suits the wood well.   
     well Turned and well finished .      Tony and Di

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 08:15:50 PM »
Ed I like this very much, as Tony and Di said the shape suits the wood. Well done.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 09:40:12 PM »
Thanks All

The patten of the wood made the decision easy.

Les I have the Revolution Hollowing system I looked at that and the Sorby one but thought the Revolution systems offer better system for the money. It can be quite a handful but that's all part of the fun learning and I'm more than pleased with it. It was recommend to me by Dave Styles of Styles & Bates and it's the system that he uses and you should see some of his work!!! He's a first class turner.

The only downside I can think of is the handle is griped to the shaft by two grub screws and you have to make sure that these are tight, so a T bar allen key tool is required.

Ed

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 10:03:21 PM »
After spindles, vases are my much prefered form for turning and this one is a very good example.

Have you turned it from green timber? I ask as it comprises both heart and growth wood, not normally seen in Walnut blanks, that and the dimensions of the square that must have been started with.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 10:06:59 PM »
Hi Ed
A nice elegant vase, well finished , cooked to perfection ;D

Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 11:00:14 AM »
Dr4g0nfly

Yes this was green, rough turned to about 6mm and given a good coat of oil. If I'm honest I think I left it a bit thin for the moment that I got, so I got away with it buy luck, it's been sitting for about 8 weeks, I test the weight weekly and it's been stable for over 3 weeks so I took it to finish.

I'm trying some more today, out of the same log to see how I get on. I plan to take them to around 8mm & soak them in oil or would wax be better?.

The old hollowing tool could be tamed by the time I finished today  :) :) :)

I want to see if I can take them to translucent thickness once dried, hence rough turning a few I think that there could be trouble a Ed ;)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 08:47:23 PM »
Ed,

I'm no expert of ultra-thin vessels, I can only repeat what I've picked up, and that is that the light bulb inside the hollow allows you to see the wall thickness, but the heat from the same bulb can dry the timber as you turn, which is why I built my LED array (as seen in my workshop gadgets thread).

However I also have a few LED positional lamps around my lathe IKEA sell them as do ALDI & Lidl from time to time and I've got to say a GU10 LED 5W bulb is amazingly bright and not hot.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!