Author Topic: What is it  (Read 2706 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
What is it
« on: April 21, 2014, 10:31:58 AM »
Hi and I know it's a bowl ;)

I purchased of ebay 300 blanks that someone was selling a while ago, in the main they are off-cuts of various woods, but there was also around 30 pre-turned bowls and this was one of them the shape now is nothing like the blank. I'm guessing that it's some knid of pine it smelt like pine while turning, there's a beautiful ripple in the grain which I think you can pick up in the images.

The size is 260mm x 100mm and turned to about 5mm thick, the wood is very light.

If anyone knows what it is please let me know, C&C's welcome

Thanks

Ed

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
Re: What is it
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 12:10:50 PM »
My guess is something like Macracarpa or Monterrey Cyprus.
Roger G

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 01:47:02 PM »
I think Roger is right. Looks very similar to some that I have turned. Mine has gone a bit darker with aging but otherwise it looks pretty much the same.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 10:16:49 PM »
Thanks Roger and Pete

I'll look them up now.

Ed

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 12:41:29 AM »
never turned macrocarpa though it looks like it, but i think it looks exactly the same as a vase i turned for my nan in Lawson cypress (chamaecyparis lawsoniana). if it's hardish but light then i'd plum for that...

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 06:35:45 AM »
I've done some digging around on this and I pretty sure that it's Macracarpa/Monterrey Cyprus, Wikipedia list them as the same thing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cupressus_macrocarpa

It's quite soft and marks easily like pine.

Thanks again

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 07:48:33 AM »
... there's a beautiful ripple in the grain

We could argue all day as to whether it's Lawson's or Monterey, but it clearly does look like a cypress. However.....Monterey cypress lives a tortuous existence and its timber does resemble what you've got there, especially the ripple in the grain, which is caused by the tree developing 'corrugations' in its sapwood as a means of strengthening its structure. Lawson's cypress, on the other hand, tends to live an easier life and is more inclined to be straighter-grained.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.