Author Topic: Hollowing Tools  (Read 4379 times)

Paul Disdle

Hollowing Tools
« on: April 11, 2014, 01:35:55 PM »
Hi

Has anybody got or tried the George Watkins Hollowing tools (http://www.fromthetree.co.uk/hollowing-tools.html). They seem good value and was after a review or some pros and cons comments on them. Feel free to recommend alternatives if you think they are better. I realise this is high subjective but you have to start somewhere.

Thanks

Paul

Offline John

• bronze
Re: Hollowing Tools
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 07:16:43 PM »
Hi,
For an inexpensive tool the Simon Hope ones are good and simple to use. Sharpening is no problem you can sharpen or fit a new tip.
John
John English

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 09:05:39 PM »
Paul,

Yes, although not those george Watkins sells, I had a local engineering works cut me a couple of lengths of bar and drill them to suit a bit of Cobalt steel I had.

They work very well.

But you do need a handle for them as well.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline George Watkins

• bronze
    • FromTheTree
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 07:57:58 AM »
Hi Paul

I have used the majority of hollowing tools since I started turning 16 years ago, in my workshop I use a combination of tools which are: both sizes of the munroe, Trent bosch swan necks, Melvyn firmagers angle tools and my own home made tools
I use a combination as I’ve yet to find just one tool that will cover all shapes and sizes of hollow forms that I want to hollow.

The best way to find out which suits your needs best is to try a few before you commit to buying them, you are more than welcome to email me and pop over to my workshop if you wish.
I have had several people in the past few months do just that and overall most can use all the tools within the first few minutes but most find that my tools are the easiest to pick up and feel comfortable with in the shortest amount of time.

Some advantages of my style of tools is that they can work through very small holes so the user is not restricted in the future as their skill level or projects progress. My tools also make tiny chips or dust within the hollow form which are easier to get out compared to shielded cutters which make shavings.
Shielded cutters do remove material quicker and most of them have the advantage of moveable links which can be quickly adjusted to suit the situation, also the smaller munroe can hollow thru a ¾” or 5/8” hole with practice.

Hollowing is a huge subject and one that I am passionate about, there is no one suits all in my opinion but there are good all rounder’s like the mini munroe, but if you are new to hollowing and can’t justify the munroe price then my style of tools might allow you to dip your toe in the water so to speak for less outlay and see if you enjoy hollow form turning.

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 09:57:16 PM »
....... and pop over to my workshop if you wish.

Please forgive a naive question, but where is  your workshop located?

MC

Offline George Watkins

• bronze
    • FromTheTree
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 08:10:07 AM »
I live & work in Leicestershire

Paul Disdle

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 07:57:42 PM »
Thanks George that's very generous I am in sunny Norwich so not sure the distance to get to you.

From reading around I  understand there is no one size fits all hence seeking personal experiences. I confess your tools  appeal for there price point and I discovered them on your site accidentally while admiring your work.  Do you use these on your boxes?  It's boxes and open forms I  am currently interested in so not so worried about small entry points yet.

I have seen the hope carbide tools and was trying to decide between the two systems

Thanks

Paul

Offline George Watkins

• bronze
    • FromTheTree
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 07:47:14 AM »
Hi Paul

Google maps is quoting around 3 hours from the centre of Norwich to my workshop.

I occasionally use my tools on the base of a box if there is an undercut shoulder area but in general I only use negative rake on box work.

I personally don’t like the carbide shear scrapers, like all carbide tools I find them too grabby and the swan neck tools too twitchy- most have too large of a cutting tip for the width of the shaft. It does seem though that I am in the minority as they are extremely popular, I listed some for sale on e-bay on Saturday and just 24 hours later they had 7 bids and 39 watchers.

My tools would work on open forms but they won’t be the quickest or leave the best surface finish, shielded ring cutters like the hamlet, munroe, & crown evo etc would be the better choice.