Author Topic: Versa Chuck Part 2  (Read 4387 times)

ru55ell1

Versa Chuck Part 2
« on: April 10, 2014, 12:05:54 PM »
See original post below
As there does not seem to be anyone in Northwest with this chuck is there anyone anywhere who has one and could advise me on its quality with respect to Sorby Patriot or Supernova which are the 2 I had been considering as they will accept my collection of jaws?

Is there anyone in the Northwest (Wiganish) that has a Versa Chuck, due to Lathe change I am in need of a new chuck and also due to differing makes of Jaws thinking of said chuck. Not being near Didcot I have not had the chance to look / hold one of these, if if there is any kind person who would be willing to let me have a look at theirs (so to speak) I would be very grateful :-)

Russell

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
Re: Versa Chuck Part 2
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 12:56:39 PM »
Russell,
I have a Versa-Chuck with various makes of jaws and it is as good, albeit more versatile (as you would expect) than the standard Axminster scroll chuck - "other makes of chuck are also available".

Fortunately (depending on your point of view) I live in Didcot but give Peter Hemsley a call at the Toolpost I am sure he would be only too pleased to give you info and advice.

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 10:27:41 PM »
due to Lathe change I am in need of a new chuck

Can you get an adaptor to use  your old chuck on  your new lathe?

My Viper chuck came, inter alia, with an "insert" so that it would fit my lathe's 3/4 inch x 16 tpi thread.

MC

ru55ell1

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 04:27:07 PM »
Unfortunately my Supernovas can only be used on the Vicmarc with an Exert which makes the chuck very long.

Thankyou for the thought :-)

Offline Sheila Hughes

• iron
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 06:07:22 PM »
Russell

The versachuck use to be sold with 3 sets of carrier jaws to take Axminster, SuperNova and Oneway workholding jaws. Its is now available to buy as component parts. So you buy a chuck body, a set of carrier jaws and a backplate suitable to fit your lathe. It sounds as if you dont need any workholding jaws but those are also available. If your existing work holding jaws are all the same make then you could go for the Patriot or SuperNova Chuck basically the same chuck. If you do go for the Sorby version you could get the Compatriot chuck which is cheaper and is basically the body and carriers of a Patriot chuck, sounds as if you might have all the other bits anyway. You can get a M33 (suitable for the Vicmarc) directly threaded body only version available for just over £100 plus shipping from http://johndaviswoodturning.com/product-category/lathe-accessories/chucks/
If you have other makes of work holding jaws, (such as Axminster) as well then the Versachuck will give you the option of using more of them on the one chuck, you will just need to purchase carriers to fit the workholding jaws. The best person I know of to speak to in your area of the country is Gerry Marlow he is available on the AWGB list. If all else fails then Talk to Peter at the Toolpost.

Hope this helps
Sheila

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 10:46:39 AM »
I`m not close enough to show you a Versachuck,but I`ve had mine for just over 9yrs now,without any problems,the big advantage of course is the ability of the chuck to take virtually any make of jaws on the market,which gives you so much scope you can buy the jaws that best serve your own turning style,ie; some do only small stuff some only big stuff,others like me do alsorts,you do have to make sure when fitting the backplate it fits down properly and have to move clockwise/anticlockwise a hole at a time to get it running true and give the surfaces a good clean before fitting,its surprising how much it throws it out when running,also if you have the backplate that takes the grubscrews for reverse turning/sanding,make sure you turn then till they just touch the headstock spindle,then an 1/8 of a turn at a time till their tight,if you tighten one side tight then the other it`ll throw it out as well,I`ve looked at other chucks over the years,but prefer my Versachuck,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

ru55ell1

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 07:58:39 AM »
Sheila & Eric

Many thanks for your advice :-)