Author Topic: Colouring Oak  (Read 2762 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Colouring Oak
« on: April 07, 2014, 07:56:16 PM »
You know the nice silver grey that Oak will turn when it has been outside for a while? Does anyone know of a stain or a technique that will give me that effect in a hurry?

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Colouring Oak
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 08:33:19 PM »
If you use the vinegar/wire wool technique for making the oak black(ish) then sand it back you can get something close to the silvery colour. You might want to experiment before doing this on your real workpiece!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 09:35:17 PM »
If you use the vinegar/wire wool technique for making the oak black(ish) then sand it back you can get something close to the silvery colour. You might want to experiment before doing this on your real workpiece!

I use lemon juice and wire wool not vinegar. 1 it smells much nicer and 2 it tends to be less violent in changing the colouring so getting that silvery effect is easier. It does have different results with different ages and types of oak as well mind.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 09:12:57 PM »
I've seen this question asked many times in different ways and places.

You can affect the colour of the oak (or other timber) but no one as far as I know has yet managed to recreate the natural aged look of weathered timber.

Sorry.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 07:42:47 AM »
Mmm, thanks guys, it was the natural silver colour that I wanted, never mind back to the drawing board.