Author Topic: Forstner Bits  (Read 4014 times)

Offline MCB

• gold
Forstner Bits
« on: March 15, 2014, 12:58:34 AM »
I have discovered that Toolstation are discontinuing Forstner Bits and that there are some bargains to be had.

These bits may NOT be of the same quality as other makes but the prices look appealing to me.

MCB

Offline MCB

• gold
Re: Forstner Bits
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 12:43:23 AM »
I  discovered why Toolstation were discontinuing the Forstner Bits when I  tried to cut some holes with them in softwood.

My local branch was very helpful in taking them back and giving a FULL refund

MC

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 07:55:15 AM »
Regretfully, I bought a 45mm cutter from them, just before your second post. I haven't even taken it out of the packet.

One of the side spurs is missing, due to a fault in the original casting, the central tip is a thick, square lump that might have come to a point if it had been a few mm longer and there are burrs raised on the rim cutters that are easily 2mm to 3mm long and as ragged as Bob Geldorf's stubble.

It's going back!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 08:10:16 AM »
I've  now bought the large set of Forstner Bits from Screwfix and branded ”Hilka“.

Screwfix Part Number: 83345

Strangely, they are a mixture of Imperial and Metric sizes (depsite being listed as metric in the catalogue).

I  have NOT used any yet but the Reviews on the Screwfix site are much better than those for the smaller set.

MC