Author Topic: My Grolla  (Read 3992 times)

DAVE BADKIN

My Grolla
« on: May 11, 2011, 07:24:21 PM »
My Grolla
Hi all, A few weeks ago whilst perusing the many wondrous turnings of my piers that post on an amazing portal of inspiration that is called the WOW’S, I came across the photo of Robbie Graham’s GROLLA 11. After reading all the comments I thought whilst I would not copy it I would like to use his as inspiration and create a Grolla of my own and this is what transpired. I turned and carved it from a single piece of Leylandii and textured the outside with a doctored nail fitted into my reciprocating carver. The detail to the lid was applied using my rotary hand piece as a little elf tool, when I read about the Grolla it was mentioned that they are sometimes used as friendship cups for passing round so I included a couple of hearts in the detail to the outside and coloured the inside red. I ebonised the outer of the pot black and then silver before rubbing it back to black leaving the silver in the bottoms of the dimples, I then coloured the inside red along with the base and finished it with lacquer. It measures 13 cm tall by 14cm across. All comments + and - are welcomed and appreciated.

thebowlerhattedturner

Re: My Grolla
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 07:58:39 PM »
Dave,
        I really like this a lot, it's lovely, well done.
Regards
John

Offline John

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 09:18:13 PM »
This is certainly a wonderful piece of turning/carving well done. I like it a lot.

John
John English

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 07:26:05 PM »
Very interesting piece, I like your take on it, from Robbie's, what better than to colour Leylandii, I wonder if it should be full, if tipped to drink off one, what ever was in it would flow from the others, then it's like the lid falling off if tipped to far.

Like the details, you've got this just right, well done.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

DAVE BADKIN

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 06:17:52 PM »
Thanks for the comments everyone, good point Dave about the likelihood of getting more than a little damp when taking a slurp, or in-fact receiving a blow to one of your peepers with the lid. But I suppose if you left the lid off when drinking very slowly with a view to saving some of the sweet nectar inside for your best buddy next to you you might stay dry and injury free,lol

myatt1972

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 09:02:23 PM »
Four straws, job done!  ;)

Fantastic work by the way, great inspiration.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 09:04:15 PM by myatt1972 »

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 12:23:25 AM »
Four straws, job done!  ;)

:) ..   :D ...   ;D ...   :'( ...    Like that Keith...
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

DAVE BADKIN

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 07:33:29 PM »
I was feeling rather down today after my compressor blew  :'(up but you have just put a big smile back on my face thanks Keith. ;D :D