Author Topic: Mulberry wabi sabi piece  (Read 5763 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Mulberry wabi sabi piece
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 08:30:09 PM »
I love this, the counterpoise of the finished shape the the natural cracks and bark area really work. The point of balance over the oak upstand lifts it almost as if an arm was holding it aloft to view it better or as an offering.

The twig in the first image almost looks like a diver as he comes off of the board in a swallow dive (or is that just me?)

As always have questions and a need to know more, it is hollowed to any extent or is the finial just fitted to a small recess.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 10:47:01 PM »
Thank you for all the comments. It is hollowed out to about 10mm. I didn't want to go through the bark so left it thickish. Not a great fan of ultra thin vessels anyway, too fragile for their own good IMHO. All these forms are hollowed out, seems cheating not to LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 12:23:59 AM »

Hi Pete, been looking at this one since you'd posted, still am ... as it not so noticeable in the top picture, the plinth which the form sits on, sticks out like a sore thumb in the lower pictures .. IMHO.. breaks the flow in the coarseness of the Oak into the rough foot and Mulberry bark as it's set, could a tenon on the stand for the foot to sit over work.

Really stunning piece (for all I've said) lovely color and the gilding wax works on the finial, as with the twig, should it last.

Cheers   David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''