Author Topic: Leave tree cutting to the professionals  (Read 3216 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum

Offline davidbrac

• copper
Re: Leave tree cutting to the professionals
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 01:04:18 PM »
yep guy had stupid tattooed across his forehead

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 04:46:32 PM »
What annoys me is that the only comment in the write up is
"The chainsaw-wielding man’s lack of a step ladder cost him when he decided sitting on the tree he was cutting down sounded like a great idea."
No comment about the lack of ANY Personal Protective Equipment, not even eye protection! And their comment implies using a chain saw when stood on a step ladder is a good idea. Insane! No wonder the general public think using chainsaws is a trivial exercise.
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 04:56:20 PM »
If only common sence was available over the counter! Anyone else wondering why someone just happened to be filming the operation?
Brian

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 06:32:57 PM »
On a rather more serious note, the title of this thread states 'Leave tree cutting to the professionals' and I've no doubt that there is a good argument for such a sentiment. However, let's face it, the opening few seconds of this video would almost certainly have made any of us realise just what was about to happen, but it does not mean that only a 'professional' should consider doing such work. i have been using a chainsaw safely, without any accident or scary incident, for 30 years. I am opportunistic about harvesting fallen timber, either for fuel or for use in my workshop, but I am not a professional chain-saw user. I consider myself safe and will continue to use my chain-saw for as long as I consider myself to be sufficiently fit.
As for the tree in the video, in the state that we saw it at the commencement of the clip, then yes, I would leave that to a professional tree surgeon. The scenario clearly is one of multiple hazards and needs to be tackled by an extremely well experienced and qualified person.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 07:09:58 PM »
sadly it's the idiots like this that make it on films they don't go round filming the average person with common sense using a chainsaw, who here would use a chainsaw or tackle a tree in this manor.

Ed

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 07:26:00 PM »
Other comments acknowledged.

It looks like he'd already cut the tree down, and let it fall in the wrong direction, onto the wall of the building.

Then he compounded his stupidity by climbing it and cutting through it again to free it from the wall.

I just hope the guy in the Hoodie who lifts out the chainsaw, kept walking, it might save him having a worse accident.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 07:53:37 PM »

Another useful link from John. It's publicising such idiots that's the worst thing.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 09:19:51 PM »
Have a look at some of the others than are shown when this one finishes, guy with a compound fracture all because he could save a few quid($)
Cringeworthy stuff
http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/images/smilies/behindsofa.gif
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 10:12:49 PM by The Bowler Hatted Turner »