Author Topic: Robinia Pesudoacacia  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Robinia Pesudoacacia
« on: January 19, 2014, 09:16:28 PM »
I won a branch of robinia pseudoacacia at the Mid Wales woodturners' club meeting this afternoon. Has anybody ever worked this stuff....just wonder what it's like. It's a log, about 5" diam (including bark) and about 24" long, but it's quite light so I'm guessing it's quite dry.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Robinia Pesudoacacia
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 10:07:59 PM »
Les I may be wrong but I think this is what is commonly called false acacia(I think the clue is in the name). If it is it is a very attractive timber with a lustre all of its own. Nice to turn, polishes beautifully and takes detail nicely too.
         Just be careful selecting the cut to turn as it can have a tendency to split.
Regards
John BHT

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 10:34:54 PM »
This was robinia pseudoacacia, (so I was told by the gardener when it was cut down) turned green so it warped quite a bit. Very hard as I remember but easy to get a good finish on it.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 08:26:40 AM »
I also have some and have turned it. Yes, False Acacia but also Black Locust, an American tree, fast growing and normally grown as a sustainable source of firewood.

It turns well, has a good yellow/cream colour and can be fumed (amonia) and I seem to remember it has a high tannin content so can be darkened with the rust/vinigar mixture called Black Nightmare.

Go back through Jo Winters postings, a year or so ago I think to see some effect he created using it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 06:38:14 PM »
Robinia pseudoacacia  is quite a nice wood to turn , also it often has burrs, it is also sometimes known as Golden oak , it is pretty hard as well , it smells pleasant when green, if you turn something from green wood ( small thin bowl , Bert Marsh style ) the bark sapwood heartwood combination is quite attractive , it is a member of the pea family and smells of peas/ runner beans ! I have turned some pretty big bowls from it in the past , but mostly use it for , lids , finials, eggs , etc   I have quite a lot of round rolling pin sized billets of it in my wood store ...... Bodrighwood ... I am pretty sure the wood in your pic is Acacia dealbata   ( mimosa )  the name is similar but the tree and  wood very different ! .. Terry....

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 06:46:33 PM »
Robinia pseudoacacia  is quite a nice wood to turn , also it often has burrs, it is also sometimes known as Golden oak , it is pretty hard as well , it smells pleasant when green, if you turn something from green wood ( small thin bowl , Bert Marsh style ) the bark sapwood heartwood combination is quite attractive , it is a member of the pea family and smells of peas/ runner beans ! I have turned some pretty big bowls from it in the past , but mostly use it for , lids , finials, eggs , etc   I have quite a lot of round rolling pin sized billets of it in my wood store ...... Bodrighwood ... I am pretty sure the wood in your pic is Acacia dealbata   ( mimosa )  the name is similar but the tree and  wood very different ! .. Terry....

Could be right, it was some wood that I was given by the gardener and I don't argue with him lol. Other pieces from the same log looked a lot less coloured as well mind.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities