Author Topic: Velcro backed Abrasive Discs  (Read 4506 times)

Offline MCB

• gold
Velcro backed Abrasive Discs
« on: January 13, 2014, 10:52:19 PM »
Ladies & Gentlemen

I'm  considering putting a velcro disc on my belt & disc sander so I  can change the abrasive discs quickly and easily.

I  know that some sanding discs are supplied new with these velcro discs so it's clearly tested technology but what are the disadvantages (apart from cost)

Can anybody recommend a source of hard wearing velcro backed abrasive discs at a good price, please ?

With best wishes and thanks. 

MC

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Velcro backed Abrasive Discs
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 11:31:48 PM »
I buy the rhyno grip from Richard Findley and cut my own discs when I want them. You can get it from his website here

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 12:18:00 AM »
How do you cut the discs?

With scissors or is  there a better way?

MC

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 06:24:01 AM »
I think that a word of caution is in order.....you said that you might use it on your 'belt and disc sander'.....the disc sander is fine, but using it on a belt sander is dangerous. The one time that hook & loop abrasives fail is when a leading edge catches in something and pulls the abrasive off its backing. On a belt sander you's have a permanent leading edge....I just don't think that it would work and might well be quite dangerous on a belt sander!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 07:38:00 AM »
I  was investigating feasibility of using velcro backed abrasive of the discs so that they could  be changed easily. Since it's easy to change the belts, I  had no intention of making any changes to the belt sander.

I  apologise for not explaining my query clearly.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 07:42:20 AM »
Agreeing with Les on the Belt  problem but assuming your wanting to use it on the disk part of your machine.

The hardest thing here is finding big enough sheets of the Hook part to attach to anything like the disc on your machine.

I found the biggest I could buy was 2" (50mm) tape on eBay and that's okay for new pads for my inertia sander and a pack of 4" x 3" sheets in the Range but bigger sheets are not easily available.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 08:18:48 AM »
Axminster  do heavy duty sticky backed velcro for this purpose in 300mm and 230 mm sizes,you can cut them down if their to big,prices are £15.44p and £11.24 including VAT,regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 08:21:33 AM »
If you were to use hook and loop to sand segments (for instance) you may find difficulty sanding them straight and may find they all come out with a slight curve on,which is obviously undesirable for segmented work. Although it can be a pain in the bum to change abrasive discs I would prefer a harder method just so that I have more accuracy in sanding.
So what I am saying is if it was me I wouldn't bother :)
Regards
John BHT

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 08:23:58 AM »
I also do not buy sanding discs at the exorbitant prices charged by those that would take advantage. Buy a roll of paper backed abrasive and a roll of double sided carpet tape, I have been doing that for years and it must have saved me a fortune.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 08:32:04 AM »
oh,just type in velcro and its the one that says velcro discs
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 09:02:57 AM »
The Axminster Search engine seems to assume Boolean OR rather than AND when one enters more than one search term !

But I've  found http://www.abrasivesplus.com/buy/replacement-velcro-hook-side-sticky-back-300mm-x-150mm_156.htm
(which is  http://tinyurl.com/q3m3vzd)

That would  allow me to cut two circles from the one piece and seems to be reasonably priced. [The Axminster circles seem more expensive in comparison.]

But the original query was about quality velcro backed abrasive at a good price rather than the self adhesive velcro itself.

One can find all sorts of discs on the internet - but I  was hoping to tap the experience of readers as to which are worth buying.

With best wishes and thanks again. 

MC

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 04:24:28 PM »
Remember not to work too long or the Velcro will over heat and melt the little hooks, making it useless.
Ron

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 05:41:54 PM »
I use 6 inch velcro backed sanding discs that I buy from car body repair shop suppliers , they have holes in them for dust extraction , so not sure if they will suit your purpose, they work out cheap enough if you buy a box of 50 or 100 at a time , obviously there are different quality ones available and I do not buy the cheapest or the dearest , I think the last lot ( 180 grit ) were Mirka   ( £12 for 50 ),I also get abranet from the same place but this is in small sheet form ( 9 x 3 ) but no finer than 320 is available, good stuff though ! I use for hand sanding or it will stick to a small velcro sanding pad ( 2") in the drill .  The supplier was called JCA coatings they are in St Austell and Exeter , not sure if nationwide but you will probably find something similar in a town near you though .