Author Topic: N/E Ash Bowl  (Read 5876 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
N/E Ash Bowl
« on: January 02, 2014, 08:39:59 PM »
This follows on from the plea for help that I posted a couple of days ago, in another part of the forum. I'd turned a piece of fresh, green ash from a local tree that fell in a storm a few days ago. I learnt lots of lessons from that first project, but especially from all the help and hints  that various members gave.
So here's the outcome....I simplified the profile and reduced the bulk of the foot, wet-sanded it, using lemon oil, and did a much better job of calculating how much material to hollow out of the foot.

Overall size is 9 1/4" diameter 9 1/4" high (235mmx235mm), with a wall thickness of just a tad over 1/8" (3.5mm).

I learnt a lot about gouge control turning the first of these, which is pictured in the 'General Discussion' forum, and that knowledge helped a lot to get the wall thickness reduced.

Comments & criticisms always welcome. ... Les

Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: N/E Ash Bowl
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 09:05:53 PM »

Les, I have to look twice .. you've the classic form in this piece in every way, if anything it is very much after the form by the Master of Turning the late Bert Marsh.. IMHO ..

From what I read and heard of the amount of lemon oil that can be used .. it's hoped it's very cheap !!

Cheers on a stunning and lovely piece Ash.   Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 09:52:03 PM »
I'm with David, it's certainly got the feel of a Bert Marsh inspired piece.

But I'm more struck by the timber, you say Ash, it's got a very close grain and the heart-wood chocolate colour is fantastic. It must have been a very slow growing tree.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 10:10:29 PM »
Hi Dewi and Bryan, and thanks for the kind remarks.
Bryan....you're right, it is typical of the ash around here, in that it grows on thin soil and, in this particular case, has 4 or 5 miles of open coutryside on its windward side (it grew on the north eastern end of Bala Lake) so it has always had to maximise its growth by building tension wood to fight the stresses of the winds. this piece was cut from the wind-ward side, so the growth rings are really packed in tight....and the heartwood colour is a gem.

Les

Francesco Dibari

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 11:41:10 PM »
very well done Les ..  :) ..  i see this on FB , but I didn't know you were ..   :)

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 11:46:21 AM »
lovely piece Les,it seems practice makes perfect,and what you learnt with the first one worked well on this one.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 02:14:49 PM »
    Like the shape you have chosen Les.
very well done.
Regards Tony
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 06:38:36 PM »
The North East shore of Bala lake. Does the explain the title of the piece?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 07:06:25 PM »
I'm ashamed to say that it took me a while to spot that!

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 07:43:56 PM »
The reduction in foot size has made a huge difference !  and they are very small growth rings for Ash with a classic contrast with the Olive and White ash,  get a big lump on the lathe and notice the density / weight difference   ( wobbles )  !!!  keep it up !  Terry

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 09:51:45 PM »

Llyn Tegid .. angen cod post i ddiffinio y fan a'r lle ...  ;D

Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 03:31:57 PM »
Argh!!!!!! Just turned the next piece of this ash...disaster! It was destined to make a wide, open bowl that this would have sat inside - perhaps 11" diam x 10" deep. All went well mounting the block and it wasn't too out-of-true. The outside shaped up well and I left a substantial amount of wood to support the base. Once I was happy with the line of the curve, I chucked it via a 4.5" spigot that I 'd turned for my deep-jaws chuck.....then it all went wrong.
Firstly, there was and area of bark that just would not stay in place. after 2 attempts to glue it back, I gave in and peeled all the bark off. Next, the bowl wall, close to where the bark was splitting away, cracked and a lump came out. It became so bad that I took a hand-saw to the bowl and cut away all the ups and downs of the natural edge, and was going to settle for a much smaller bowl. Even that was not to be! The bowl-wall just kept cracking in the same are that all the other faults appeared. I couldn't see any hairline cracks, but there clearly was something wrong. Think I'll give up at this point....or settle for a saucer!
Les

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 07:27:23 PM »
It sound to me like you have falling shakes.

When the tree toppled, it hit the ground and has shattered internally at this point. Nothing can be done for it I'm afraid.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 07:34:46 PM »
Nothing can be done for it I'm afraid.

....unless you want to buy a saucer, Bryan!

Les

p.s. ... that makes perfect sense...the slice of the branch that this piece came from was close to the section that snapped when it hit the ground. I had cut back into the good wood, discarding all the stuff that had cracks and splits, but guess that I hadn't noticed anything obvious in this bit.

Cheers...Les

Offline flames

• Phoenix Turner
  • copper
    • phoenixturner
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 12:49:21 PM »
shame about that 2nd piece Les, it is possible to save pieces when this type of thing is happening but, tbh, rarely worth the effort - there's always more wood out there. 1st one's bril btw!