Author Topic: Bandsaw Help  (Read 7927 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Bandsaw Help
« on: December 22, 2013, 01:36:53 AM »
Hi All

I'm new to the forum and wood turning, my machinery has arrived and I am setting up my workshop. But I need some help with a bandsaw I purchased a Charmwood W750 which arrived damaged!!! Charmwood are now out of stock of these until the end of Feb so it look's like it's back to the drawing board I'm looking for a bandsaw that will cut up to 300mm thick timber I have a budget of 1100.00 I know that Axminster do the SBW4300B which would fit the bill, does anyone know of another make or should I go with the Axminster.

Ed

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Bandsaw Help
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 02:43:42 PM »
The Record BS400 has a similar capacity and is also within your budget.

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 06:16:09 PM »
Everything I turn goes from chainsaw to lathe , no need for bandsaw !!! 

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 06:43:38 PM »
Hi TWIG I wouldn't advise a novice to start using a Chainsaw without the proper Safety Equipment and Training ??? Ed probably wants a Bandsaw for other operations.

Hi Ed I think the advice given by Paul is good but myself I would prefer Axminster very good back up.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 07:30:01 PM »
The list price on the Hammer N3800 is £1138.80 including vat & has a cutting height of  310mm.
+ it isn`t Chinese rubbish, always a bonus  :o

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 08:24:46 PM »
Hi TWIG I wouldn't advise a novice to start using a Chainsaw without the proper Safety Equipment and Training ??? Ed probably wants a Bandsaw for other operations.

A bandsaw ( large ) is just as dangerous as a chainsaw without training and experience !! 

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 09:43:31 PM »
Twig and John S,
             I agree with both of you about the dangers of each machine, and it should be remembered that when using a chainsaw correct PPE should be worn which will stop the machine nearly instantly when coming into contact. Regarding a bandsaw, even though these machines are capable of doing you serious damage the damage done is not normally as bad as that caused by a chainsaw. There is also no PPE available for bandsaw use.Correct lighting should be used at all times and the blade should be sharp and the machine well maintained and correctly set. Something you may have to think about Ed is do you have enough power delivered at the point of use?
Regards
John BHT with my H&S hat on  ;)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 10:54:30 PM »
Hi All

Thanks for your reply's.

Twig I have a chainsaw and it's fine for cutting up small trunks and I could chop-up planks of timber with it, but I'm looking for a bandsaw because I also have other projects for it.

Many years ago I trained and qualified as a furniture maker and did a bit of turning during that time, but as I say that was many year ago. My wife brought me a two day wood turning course and I loved it. I do understand tools and the safety aspect, I have a company that sell's tools & fixings but not big machine's so I don't know much about this market place hence the question.

John D thank's for your concern and I think that I'm going to go down the Axminster route.

John B yes I have plenty of power and light, my new workshop is a 5 x 4 metre double garage that I've cleared, the electricians have just finished installing 10 double sockets and it's well-lit by 4 5ft twin HF florescent fittings, it's brighter than a floodlight football pitch.

Thanks again all.

Ed
Thanks again all for your replys

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 01:05:40 AM »
You may have 20 x 13A sockets but please forgive me for asking if have you checked the rating of the fuse or circuit breaker at the Consumer unit?

MC

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 09:59:18 AM »
You may have 20 x 13A sockets but please forgive me for asking if have you checked the rating of the fuse or circuit breaker at the Consumer unit?

MC

Very wise comment, MC, as I read that most equipment can call for 20A supply.  If I recall correctly from the quote for when I get the power for the shop, I'd need 45A to cover my estimated demand etc... how many things could be running at any time.

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 10:30:55 AM »
I  hope I'm  NOT teaching my grandmother to suck eggs when I  write this...... (to coin a phrase)

Every piece of electrical equipment should  have a RATING PLATE showing how many watts (W) or kilowatts (kW) the machine uses.

For all practical purposes and for ease of calculation, every kilowatt (=1000 watts) draws 4 amps (4A)

The machine should  have the correct size fuse in the plug - but a lot of electrical equipment is  supplied with 13 amp fuses [incorrectly]

Why are you  likely to have more than one machine running at a time (apart from extract systems, et hoc genus omne)?

This assumes everything is  SINGLE PHASE. Three phase gets more complicated!

With seasonal greetings and my very best wishes for a Happy, Healthy, Peaceful, Successful, Prosperous and Stress-free New Year.

MC

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 11:50:09 AM »
In an ideal world, sufficient capacity to cover what the rating plate would be enough. In the real world, things with big motors have a starting current that will exceed the stated current on the rating plate by quite a margin so it's not unusual for a more substantial supply to be needed.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 12:08:26 AM »
Hi MCB

Is this question aimed at me? if so I can tell you that I have nothing to worry about, I had the main fuse for the in-comer up rated, new consumer unit installed in doors with the workshop be covered by it's own consumer unit rated to cope with the demand of my workshop. But your right many people do not understand electrics and think that you can just keep adding to your current supply without checking.

Regards

Ed