Author Topic: Some pictures of my work  (Read 3517 times)

PeterMarandola

Some pictures of my work
« on: December 17, 2013, 02:27:34 PM »
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to upload a few pictures of my work - hope this uploads as I am still getting used to the forum and how it works! Bare with me :)

As I said in my previous post I am relatively new at wood turning and have been doing this as a hobby. Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Some pictures of my work
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 07:21:28 PM »
Pete,

welcome to the AWGB Forum, I hope this is the first of many posts from you.

You say you are fairly new to woodturning, you seem to have some degree of skill as the turnings you've posted are shapely and have a good finish. Unfortunately the photos are a little poor so an exact comment on your finish is difficult.

Having said it's shapely, I'd add that you are where we all started, and are still allowing the tool to dictate some of the shape, don't worry, a little practice will soon sort that out. Confidence grows swiftly.

I would ask that you post a little about each piece, size, timber and finish, if you can remember at the time - don't worry if you don't, we often forget ourselves.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

PeterMarandola

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 07:45:44 PM »
Hi dr4g0nfly,
Thanks for your comments, very much appreciated. I am still experimenting with the finishes. At the moment just using a sealer and polishing with bees wax. Would be grateful for any tips. At the moment my grandson is helping me with this forum as at 79 years old I am getting a bit past taking in this new technology so please bear with me. Many thanks Pete.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 08:15:59 PM »
Pete,

sorry, I always forget, the names Bryan.

Glad to hear your grandson is assisting you, another tuner for the future I'm guessing - he'll not admit it I'm sure but the bug will bite.

There are as many finishes as there are turners, but Beeswax (I'm assuming it's pure not furniture polish) is the most fundamental and most traditional. The best finish is gained from applying it quite heavily and using heat from the friction of the polishing action to melt it into the grain while building the shine. This is the old 'Art's and Craft's' finish. Looks good and smells great, but a little poor in holding a shine - it needs regular re-polishing.

I don't know where you are or if you can get to a Woodturning shop. If so (and you want to try something different) get some sanding sealer http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Finishes/Chestnut/chestnut.html#CelluloseSealer to fill the grain and then apply either a friction polish http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Finishes/Chestnut/chestnut.html#FrictionPolish or Woodturners Carnubra Stick http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Finishes/Chestnut/chestnut.html#Waxstick.

I tried kids wax crayons once, thought I'd get some colour from the wax, no colour but I did get a shine...!

But don't limit yourself, oils are also good, Paraffin Oil from a chemist, Tung Oil and it's variants (Danish & Finishing oil), Walnut, Almond etc oils from supermarkets. Then there are the Shellac's available from the DIY Sheds.

Anything you can put onto the wood and buff or shine is a finish.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 09:20:43 PM »
Hi Pete,
Welcome to the forum. Difficult to see your level of finish due to the quality of the photographs. Experiment with different finishes until you find one that pleases you most. Some turners like a high gloss finish, using spray acrylic sanding sealer and a spray gloss laquer, this all has to be done in a dust free environment to achieve a good finish. I prefer a more "satin" finish personally and most of the finishing I do is with cellulose sanding sealer and a wax finish on top. On oak and ash platters and most oak bowls I use several coats of danish oil. Hope this helps,if you need any more advice we're all here to help one another. In the meantime, keeeeeeeeeeep turning!
Regards,
Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

PeterMarandola

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 03:21:16 PM »
Thanks Rod, taking it all in.
cheers Pete

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 06:18:45 PM »

Pete, you've achieved 3 nice pieces, I like the 2nd bud vase and use of timbers, Ash & Cherry .. with !!!. it has come out well, as with the top vase, looks to be a nice box, like mentioned with time you'll refine the details.

Finishes are endless, differs in any combination or one's own formula, vary from the use, to the durability of the finish, what has been mentioned, you've been well advised so far. Again over time you'll expand on the finishes with what you like and which work best for you.

Well done so far and to that wonderful Grandson, between both you it's a good team.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

PeterMarandola

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 08:12:18 PM »
Thanks for your comments David. My grandson is at uni. at the moment and I'm sure he will be pleased with the replies I'm getting. I'll keep trying and will post some more of my efforts soon.
                                                   cheers Pete.