Author Topic: NE bowl from an old root - WIP shots.  (Read 7433 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
NE bowl from an old root - WIP shots.
« on: December 14, 2013, 09:06:30 PM »
Last summer, whilst trotting around Norfolk, I found this old root in a friend's shed.

....and as I've just had a new set of deep-grip jaws, today was the day to turn it. When I first saw it, I thought that it was yew, but as soon as I started to cut it, I knew that it wasn't. It cut too easily - I'm guessing that on old, dry yew root would be very hard. My next thought was Leylandii, whgich would make sense as there was Leylandii in the friend's garden, but I've worked several pieces of that recently, and the smell was wrong. The smell was very, very strong, sweet and reminded me of sherbet. I've smelt something very similar, and think that it's pitch-pine.

I mounted it between centres and turned the speed right down....

After turning a spigot and cutting the basic shape between centres, I secured it in the chuck and  started turning in earnest. The biggest problem was a lump of flint embedded deep in the wood, which cost me a few minutes at the grinder.

Hollowing out went fairly well and the wood cut quite easily. I tried a range of tools on it, from a bowl gouge to a heavy scraper and to a big hollowing tool that I borrowed from Mid Wales Woodturner's library of resources. What ever I used cut well and gave a reasonable finish. I managed to get the wall down to about 6mm, but really didn't fancy going any thinner as bits were beginning to fly off!

Finishing was done with Abranet and lots of lemon-oil for the outside, with 40mm discs in an electric drill with the lathe spindle locked for the inside. The finish is very flat, not quite satin but a little fuller than a matt finish.

It was reverse chucked on a dolly with a soft rag on it to skim the bottom off, I'll endorse the bottom of it before it leaves the workshop and it will get a few more oilings, but I don't expect the finish to change much. Overall size is 150mm x 150mm (6" x 6")

Comments and criticisms always welcome...Les
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 09:09:00 PM by gwyntog »
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
Re: NE bowl from an old root - WIP shots.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 09:41:34 PM »
Les
I can normally see the potential in a bit of timber but didn't think this would be the end result, what a turn out, just shows you have to experiment and just go for it. Don't want to sound negative but could the diameter of the base been a little smaller? Overall I like it very much,lovelly form,figuring,bark inclusion,natural edge,a real head turner. Did your friend find this on the beech, looks like a lump of driftwood.
Thanks for showing us the process from start to finish. You deserve a lie in tomorrow ;D

Hwyl
Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 09:47:08 PM »
Hi Rod, a diolch!

The wood was the only piece of wood in my friend's log-shed when they moved in, so where it came from is a complete mystery.

You're right about the diameter of the foot, it probably would look better if it were lighter, but it's been made as a gift and is going to be used, rather than just looked at, so it needs to be quite stable. Also, I wanted to keep some of the rotten wood break-out in the foot, so that the foot wouldn't be 'perfect'. As a gallery piece, it certainly would benefit from a lighter foot.

Thanks for the kind comments and I must admit that this was one of those occasions when I couldn't see the end result when looking at the starting post!

Hwyl....Les

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 10:11:37 PM »
Looks like i have some competition in turning tatty old bits of wood. Love this, right up my street. main emotion is envy that you got your hands on it and not me. LOL

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 08:13:52 AM »
Les,

I think you were very brave to turn that wholly on the lathe. I would have taken the pointy bits off with a saw first and tried to get it a bit moe comfortably round before turning it. We done indeed (how many knuckles are covered in plasters though?)

Who would have thought such am ugly piece of wood could give up that vase, all the root eyes make it look fantastic.

Guess I'll have to start prowling the beach for driftwood now.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 10:36:19 AM »
luverly stuff  Les and not with out its moments I reckon.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 04:25:37 PM »

Les, definitely the Maxi has brought a whole new level to your turning.

What a piece, great WIP and result. Well done.

Could well be Driftwood, the beach can yield some incredable finds, depending on the coast, it could be just someones garden waste from just along the bay or further a field .. you may have any form of pine or just the root of a fruit tree from the garden .. some will leave anything behind ..  ;D ..

Cheers for sharing.    Dewi

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 07:43:20 PM »
Great to see you are developing an "eye" for potential for  something from such such a piece of wood !!   I do quite a bit like this myself . You made things even more difficult for yourself by turning a slightly enclosed form of bowl with the difficulties of tool handling and sanding that are required .. so jolly well done . Once you start working pieces of wood like this you will "see" more and more potential pieces which can be had for next to nothing ,a few of my Tree Surgeon colleagues shake their heads with dis-belief when i pick up a knotty ,half rotten lump of wood with a smile !! and then say " what the %^&$* are you going to do with that lump of &^£% !!! "    Philistines !!!  ...

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 07:46:21 PM »
Thanks guys for all those kind comments...it gives me quite a boost!

TWiG.....I called at my mates house this afternoon and looked longingly at a tatty fence post of his. He thinks I've cracked!

Les

Francesco Dibari

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 05:07:52 PM »
.. Les ... you have been able to win a good challenge .. many compliments ..  :) ..

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 07:59:58 PM »
Thank you, Francesco.
Les

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 09:17:40 PM »
TWiG.....I called at my mates house this afternoon and looked longingly at a tatty fence post of his. He thinks I've cracked!

Form an orderly queue!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 09:43:10 PM »

Highways/Motorway Maintenance supplied me with Oak posts/rails, very limited at times by demand, well weathered, bowed and some cracks. Shame that maintenance chips their tree clearance.

No stopping on the M5 .. Bryan ..  >:( ... even if it dark now.

Cheers David

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 09:56:02 PM »
Dewi...time was when the local council boys used to leave all the tree thinnings on the side of the road, but nowadays they've all bought wood-burning stoves. Rotten so-and-sos!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 10:53:02 PM »
Dewi...time was when the local council boys used to leave all the tree thinnings on the side of the road, but nowadays they've all bought wood-burning stoves. Rotten so-and-sos!

;D .. It was like cutting the grass verge, now with the flail trimmers it dumps the cuttings in the gullies/drains .. no wonder on the flooding.

I remember the Bus Company with an open top bus lopping branches ...  :o ..

Years back .. there was a lad in the village near us, who did carving and he used the council chap for his needs, he couldn't supply him once and came to me, I ripped a large slab out of some Apple we had at the time, most was Elm... days before my turning .. :( ..

Cheers   Dewi