Author Topic: Sycamore Pear Jewellery Box  (Read 2678 times)

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
Sycamore Pear Jewellery Box
« on: December 12, 2013, 02:50:22 PM »
Sycamore Pear Jewellery Box with "Gold Leaf"
Similar proprtions to the Padauk, (don't like turning them all the same or they look as if they've come off a copy lathe),a little smaller.

I know it would be nice to hollow out the lid a little more as suggested, but take a tip from me it's surprising how much the leaf weighs in comparison to the hollowed out pear and especially with the lightness of sycamore it becomes top heavy and off balance. If you try to copmromise by making a larger base area then you lose the roundness of the form. Next one I do will have a wood stalk and a deep hollowed lid. Again C&C welcome

Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Sycamore Pear Jewellery Box
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 03:32:57 PM »

Hi Rod, You've got this mastered, we can see what it is.

It's a thing with today and fruit has to have uniformity, in the natural no pear .. pair are alike, so you're spot on with this one, even if you'd turned it just the same ... in the detail it can be seen it has not been on a copy lathe.

Will keep watching for these delightful gems.

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 03:51:03 PM »
Love it, Rod....and it's great that the ripple in the grain tends to hide the join in the box. Great piece!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 10:44:21 PM »
hello Rod,
 very nicely done, I take on board the comments you made about the leaf and stalk being heavy, I never thought of that.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 11:05:03 PM »
Les a Dai
Diolch yn fawr

John
Not as bad on the padauk ,althought it has a thinner wall, as it's such a dense heavy wood,but very noticeable on the sycamore if ever you try one. Thanks again for your comments.

Regards
Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 01:46:56 PM »
Rod,

this is magic, I do like sycamore grain, it might be very pale but get it to pop and it's as magic as any expensive wood.

Funny but I see these with a central post in the lower half and used as a ring presentation box - maybe an engagement ring - the joining of 2 people as a pair, in a pear, I don't know maybe it's just the way my brain works.

Whatever, It is well shaped and masterfully finished.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!