Author Topic: Oneway 2436 lathe  (Read 8077 times)

Offline Hartwood

• copper
Oneway 2436 lathe
« on: December 07, 2013, 06:39:31 PM »
Does anyone own or have experience with the Oneway 2436?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Oneway 2436 lathe
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 04:38:50 PM »
If one day on an ABWT training course with Les Thorns counts - yes.

As a lathe it was stunning, stable and responsive but I can also remember is the tool post/Banjo was very (very) heavy and oft time not so easy to position exactly where you want it. But as it was only one day, I'd suggest that you'd soon get used to it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Hartwood

• copper
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 06:38:49 PM »
Thanks for the info, I did not realise Les Thorne had a Oneway, although someone told me he used to sell them? Your comments about the Banjo are interesting as Oneway list this as a major feature and have patented their design! now that you mention it, most of KTMP DVDs use a Oneway and one or two of the demonstrators seem to find it heavy. 

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 07:09:04 PM »

KTMP had been, could still be the UK agent for Oneway Lathes ... Kirl had this year been selling them/some he used in the school.

As the recording company he has the 2436, it's large and every part as you'd expect is heavy, yet smooth running, the one thing that is advised, is you don't need to lock down hard on the camlocks for the banjo/tailstock, this could jam them, it's operation and handle weight is adequate to lock firm, no need to force nor apply the usual pressure as with most lathes.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 08:10:13 PM »
I have used one of these several times whilst being taught woodturning by Andrew Hall.  The banjo is OK but I made the mistake of over tightening the camlock (based on my experience of having to tighten the banjo on my own small lathe), and it was indeed a hell of a job to slacken it off again :-[  A light touch on the camlock is all that's needed to lock it rock solid.  

It's without doubt a superb lathe and I thoroughly enjoyed using it.  I could not afford one though and it would need a much bigger space to accommodate than available in my workshop.

Andrew filmed me using the lathe (turning a massive piece of Monkey Puzzle I won at a club raffle) and if it helps to give you an idea of what the lathe is like (as used by a novice), extracts can be seen  HERE.

Tim
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 08:12:01 PM by Tim Pettigrew »

Andy Coates

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 09:59:55 PM »
I've got one. I prefer my other lathe, a Wivamac DB1200.

The bed on the 2436 is a large tube. It restricts close proximity to the bedways. The tailstock and banjo can both be heavy and cumbersome.

The wiva is far more friendly and it has the advantage of a movable headstock.

But I'd swap both for a magma titan.

Nick Arnull

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 10:32:45 AM »
Hartwood,I have worked on Oneway lathes several times both here and in the US the biggest issue I have with a great late is the ability to lock the spindle and use the indexing with one hand.
 I tend to agree regarding the tailstock and banjo being heavey this is something you could get used.
Why do some lathe builders give you two off switches.  A big red button in the eyeline always for me says stop!!!
Oneway a great machine with a couple of issues I would suggest looking at the Jet 2036 a beast of a mchine at a better price and in my opinion it is better than the Oneway. My current  lathes are a Vicmarc shortbed Graduate bowl lathe and a Nova 3000  all could all be replaced by the big jet.