Author Topic: And then there were seven  (Read 2140 times)

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
And then there were seven
« on: November 25, 2013, 07:37:26 PM »
Just thought I'd share a few items recently purchased by my best customer..........2 x pen holders, a cherry vase, monkey puzzle platter with textured rim, off centre elm bowl, apple and pear. ;D
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: And then there were seven
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 08:14:19 PM »

Hi Rod, They look good .. most impressed, you've a good customer with taste too.

That's different for the the money puzzle and is that a bit of home grown Elm, lovely figure and the offset is ideally placed. All well turned.

Nice to see, well done.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 08:42:28 PM »
Hi Rod.....A nice little group. The best bit, for me, is the elm offset, it's got beautiful grain and serves as a reminder of the treasure that we lost to Dutch Elm Disease. I also like the smaller of the two pen-holders and the texture on the rim of the platter really gives interest to the monkey puzzle, which often needs something to compensate for the lack of colour. was your customer stocking up with Christmas presents? - he's going to have some happy friends and relatives this year!
Hwyl...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 02:10:53 PM »
Rod,

I've been looking at these; the vase we've seen before I'm quite sure.

I also agree with Les that the off centre platter is the best of the group, however...

...the monkey puzzle platter, I love the knot feature, the 'Eye' in the platter, it really looks good

but, I'm confused (easily done), I know the way these trees grow, the 5 branches equistant around the trunk, so where did you find a piece such that you can get a single knot in the middle of such a large section.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 07:55:06 PM »
Thanks again all for your encouraging comments.

Dragonfly, I  purchased it from Isca hardwoods in their last woodshow and it was about 11" x 2" and cost about a tenner.It was the only one they had, if you look at the knot closely it looks like a little plump bird with a beak! I always try and get a feature in the wood for the price they charge these days!!

regards, Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.