Author Topic: Two Verdigris Lidded Hollow Forms  (Read 3231 times)

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
Two Verdigris Lidded Hollow Forms
« on: November 24, 2013, 07:00:25 PM »
Some more hollow forms turned ready for the Aberglasney Winter Fair
C&C welcome
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Two Verdigris Lidded Hollow Forms
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 07:58:12 PM »
Hi Roderick....two really fine pieces that will surely set the standard at Aberglasney. Love the finish, but just a little uncertain about the crescent-moon finial. None-the-less, pob lwc a pob hwyl.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 10:22:22 PM »
love the texture and colour shading,the finial on first piece rearlly suits.
very nice
tony
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 11:51:55 AM »
Rod,

I sat here at work with a metal person behind me. He want's to know why I'm looking at Brass [not wood] so your efforts are passing his examnination, well done.

I've not yet tried Verdigris wax as a finish, and looking at these I must sometime soon it creates a wonderful effect.

I think that apart from the finish effects you've achieved, the the finials (or is one a knob)  are great, it's nice to see non-turned ones used occasionally, especially when they add to the effect.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 01:35:04 PM »
I have had a go with verdigris wax but have yet to come up with a result as good as these. Love the shape and the finish

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 06:47:47 PM »
Les,George and bodrighywood thanks for all your positive comments

dr4gOnfly, the finials are turned from a square piece of african blackwood. I mount the square ( approx 40mm ) in the chuck jaws,  turn the the finial base to the correct diameter for the form,remove the remainder of the square from the chuck and the carving is done using a fine saw and a dremmel type tool for final shaping and texturing.  If your goin to buy verdigris wax have a look on ebay, some places are charging stupid money. Thanks for your comments,
Regards, Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 08:04:19 PM »

Hi Rod, I like the classic form, texture and finish with both of these, you've mastered the verdigris finish off to a fine Art..

I've looked at the top form and there was something with the finial .. reminiscent too .. when it dawned on me ... the wingnut to an airfilter housing .. it's almost as if the cover should be unscrewed. The lower finial is thinking outside the box/norm, but could have a need to be handled with care, then these are destined for a display cabinet.

Have an enjoyable and profitable Fair.... I like the fine food part .. ;) ..

Cheers David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 08:35:43 PM »
Hi Roderick,  what wood have you used for these hollow forms ?  and have you painted/sprayed the wood before texturing and applying verdigris wax ?  I am interested as I am about to try something similar my self soon !   Terry...

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 09:08:06 PM »
Hi Terry

I used sycamore for both, they were textured with a dremmel type tool, then scorched with a cooking blow torch.  Verdigris wax was then liberally coated all over,allowed to dry and polished. A "bronzy" liberon paste wax was applied sparingly on the taller form and more liberally on the other. Hope this helps, don't be afraid to try it just experiment a little and you'll be surprised at the results. Look forward to seeing an example soon.

Regards, Rod