Author Topic: New member  (Read 3135 times)

PeterMarandola

« on: November 21, 2013, 03:03:11 PM »
Hi everyone,

Not too sure where to post this message, but as the title says I am a new member to the forum.

Recently got into woodturning as a hobby - really enjoying it. Been going for about a year now - learning everyday. But I need all the help I can get.

My grandson introduced me to this forum and is showing me how to use it - so forgive me while I learn the ropes. I'm hoping to post some photos of my works and get some ideas and tips from the rest of you all.

Look forward to speaking with you!

Cheers.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 03:21:54 PM »
Hello Peter and welcome to the forum.
Looking forward to seeing your work.
Regards
John BHT

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 03:55:13 PM »
Hi Peter and welcome. Being a relatively new turner just means that you will have new ideas and I am sure that us 'oldies' will be learning from you as much as the other way around.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 05:19:39 PM »
Hi Peter....I was in the same position as you now find yourself, just about a year ago, when I joined the forum. You've done exactly the right thing....this forum is packed with people who are only too willing to give advice through constructive criticism. I use the gallery a lot and the feedback that I've had over the year has been supportive, constructive and instructive. I feel that my turning has come on in leaps and bounds as a result of the help that I've been given. I've also joined one of the regional clubs associated with the AWGB, and that is also proving to be a great help.
Looking forward to seeing some of your work on here.....all the best...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 06:00:41 PM »
Hi Peter,
               Welcome to the Forum if you want to know something about woodturning this is the place to ask.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 11:45:18 PM »

Hi Peter, Welcome to the wonderful world of Woodturning and the Home for it, this Forum.

As gwyntog (Les) has put it we are all helpful with constructive criticism, if criticism is an appropriate word for the hope that you're given sound advice... on that note, we look forward to see your work so far... and will be kind ..  ;D ..

Well done to the grandson for getting you on here, is he more high tech (as most are, than our day) or will you make a Turner out of him yet ..  ;) .. mom allowing.

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 07:09:13 PM »
Peter,

and a big hello and welcome from me as well.

Ask and we'll answer, post pictures and we'll critique helpfully. Please don't be afraid, we were all where you are now, and many of us without the benefit of this wonderful forum or even the Internet. So make use of us, we love to help.

The only other piece of advice we can offer at the start is find a nearby club and join. Your profile says you're in Scotland, there are not too many AWGB affiliated clubs up that way, but not all clubs are, so there is bound to be one somewhere near you.

Looking forward to your first piece posted,

Bryan (Dr4g0nfly)
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!