Author Topic: They just don't have a clue!  (Read 5897 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
They just don't have a clue!
« on: November 21, 2013, 08:38:04 AM »
Sometimes I think the gene pool could be thinned out somewhat.
I was demonstrating at the weekend with other craftsmen and women at an event held in a NT property. Things were going quite well, I had made a few bits, sold a few bits and cracked a few jokes that attracted one or two laughs, I engaged in conversations about turning in general and even managed to get a small commission.There were even less men who"used to do a bit of this"about so I didn't even have to put up with that lot, all in all it was turning into a good day.
You get to the point when you have heard(or thought you had heard) it all before, until a father, about 35ish called his two children over with the words" there's a man here wooding"!! I then said I am actually turning stuff on a lathe so he promptly exclaimed to his two SNERTS (Snotty Nosed Egotistical Rude Teenagers)" Oh he is latheing"!!! >:(    I was then asked " which end do you put the wood in?" By this stage I was feeling compelled to make something, anything, to try to enlighten his FLK's (Funny Looking Kids)to the marvels and majesty of turning so I picked up a piece of Maple just over and inch square and six inches long with the intention of making a honey drizzler,I fix it between centres and looked up to see the whole family, happy in their ignorance wandering off probably to be ignorant about another time honoured craft.
      I know the voices in my head are not real...........but sometimes they really do have good ideas!!
Regards
John BHT

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: They just don't have a clue!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 10:14:01 AM »
The stupidity of some people is really flabbergasting isn't it LOL. Big signs and banners saying wood turner, cards and pamphlets etc and still I get asked regularly if I make this stuff myself.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 10:26:41 AM »
You've got to laugh! A few weeks ago I took some of my lidded bowls and boxes to work to see if any of the staff wanted to buy any for Xmas presents. One person asked (of a 6" diam x 5" deep spalted beech bowl) 'How long did it take to make this?', so I told her that it was about an hour, from start to finish, to which she replied, something like,.....'Is that all, I thought that you be days working on that!' She then asked if I carved it all with chisels, so I briefly explained how the lathe turns at high speed and you offer the 'chisels' up to it to shape the wood. 'That's cheating!' she said, '...that's not proper carving'.
Arghhhhhhh....Philistine!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 01:54:06 PM »
Gross Ignorance (def'n), 144 times worse than normal ignorance
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 11:51:54 PM »

John, so he got you into a bit of a lather ...  ;) ..

Cheers   David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 06:06:31 PM »
More than one person has thought that my hollow forms are created by " inflating " a piece of hot wet wood !! if only it was that easy !  But in some ways I admire their imagination .... Terry...

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 07:14:48 PM »
Les,

I must admit I also sell a few pieces to people on my office, normally from photo's.

To reveal a little bit, people have learnt to to mention anything about wood in my hearing, I can be a bit of a fanatic about it.

Ah well, you can't have everything!!!!!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 10:37:29 PM »
John, so he got you into a bit of a lather ...  Wink ..

Cheers   David

Hi David, yes I suppose y when you could say that. I am not normally a miserable person, I talk to people and smile at them and I am generally nice and helpful.....it's just sometimes the public just p**s me off.
Regards
John
BHT

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 02:05:01 AM »
John, so he got you into a bit of a lather ...  Wink ..

Cheers   David

Hi David, yes I suppose y when you could say that. I am not normally a miserable person, I talk to people and smile at them and I am generally nice and helpful.....it's just sometimes the public just p**s me off.
Regards
John
BHT

Young John, once upon a time, now when that's a good question .. I too excepted, tolerated and was generally, how best to say it, a happy go lucky bunny, still am most of the time .. I'd wondered as I write just what it is that nowadays, like you .. there are those that one can't understand the reasoning nor tolerate the likes of more each day ... is it down to an age thing with just me and a point of after so long it's just plain fed up.

I'm happy to cycle or had been, needing to mail most afternoons, it saves trying to park the car in town and that's something else .. anyway the bike .. I'm sure no one understands the highway code on how to pass a cyclist/s (if the wife is with me) or handsignals even, in both directions I/we can use a central right turn safety lane (well it should be) to turn from the main A road, vehicles will keep passing using no man's land and the turn lane, even when I've my arm out and wait for a space to cross the road... what's with them.

That something else .. it's been the car this week, now the turn into the town center is from a large roundabout and 4 lanes enter the RB. just before the TC. road, 2 into the RB. 2 for the dual carrage ring road, which you bare off from for TC. ... most disregard any signs, road markings and indicators, if not the car and plow into the RB. as if it's you're the one to stop .. the wife hates the turn and unnerves me slapping the dash to brace herself each time and the "we don't need an accident" .. I still associate the slap with the emergency stop and one day inadvertently I will.

Sorry to all, it's a bit of a rant, maybe going off topic, then it is still most don't have a clue what they do or have done, ignorance is bliss.

Cheers  David

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 02:57:49 PM »
they make you mad don`t they,the tortures you could do to them in your head,as bodyrightwood says,the one I hate most did you make that yourself,you aswer yes I did,they then says but how did you turn it out og metal,ggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrr.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 05:32:47 PM »
they make you mad don`t they,the tortures you could do to them in your head,as bodyrightwood says,the one I hate most did you make that yourself,you aswer yes I did,they then says but how did you turn it out og metal,ggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Eric, the worst one is; "I can make you one like that dear and cost nothing" as they walk off ..

Cheers  David

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 05:51:20 PM »
You've got to laugh! A few weeks ago I took some of my lidded bowls and boxes to work to see if any of the staff wanted to buy any for Xmas presents. One person asked (of a 6" diam x 5" deep spalted beech bowl) 'How long did it take to make this?', so I told her that it was about an hour, from start to finish, to which she replied, something like,.....'Is that all, I thought that you be days working on that!' She then asked if I carved it all with chisels, so I briefly explained how the lathe turns at high speed and you offer the 'chisels' up to it to shape the wood. 'That's cheating!' she said, '...that's not proper carving'.
Arghhhhhhh....Philistine!
Les
Hi Les, you've made my day. I burst out laughing when I read your post. Did you manage to keep a straight face when she said that? ::)
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 09:25:20 PM »
Hi Paul...good to hear from you, and yes, I kept a straight face....but oh how I wish i could have thought of a cutting remark to slap her down to size with, but quick-wittiness is not one of my attributes!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline davidbrac

• copper
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 09:26:36 AM »
I know someone who is really impressed with the work l do and tells everyone else that l am a "wood-twister"