Author Topic: Who brought me the wood at Yandles 2013 spring show?  (Read 3743 times)

Andy Coates

Who brought me the wood at Yandles 2013 spring show?
« on: November 12, 2013, 05:34:41 PM »
I can't remember who brought me the wood to Yandles! I think it may have been Steve...and Mark Hancock may have had some...

Anyway...the wood was collected after I posted a message here, and I can't find it. The wood was a pressie for me for putting him in contact.

Finally got around to turning a piece...I think it's Olive, but can't remember... was it Olive?

and it sold before it was even off the lathe!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Who brought me the wood at Yandles 2013 spring show?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 05:40:35 PM »
Andy that was probably Tony Davis as he gave me a piece too. And yes it was Olive .......and gorgeous too.
Regards
John BHT

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 06:43:52 PM »
I am afraid that you have caused me to sin Andy. I really covet that wood LOL. It is a beautiful piece of work as well. Lovely shape and obviously I like the natural defects, right up my street.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 07:36:24 PM »
yes it was olive yes it was me who gave you it.i have commited a greater sin than pete i let diane colour a piece in boudicas hoard.but i am finding i can turn it paper thin with no degrade athough it smokes a bit when diane burns it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                        regards tony davis                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    forgot to say nice job you did with it too
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 08:17:26 PM by georg »
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 08:09:16 PM »
Hi Andy...I really like this one, and it's so unlike so many other HFs that we see. I can't quite get a feel for the overall profile, but certainly I like the shape of the upper part of the form....and as for the grain; wow!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Andy Coates

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 08:33:40 PM »
Hello tony...no wonder I couldn't find you! (aside from the early onset dementia!)...I wasn't looking for "georg"!!

It turns beautifully, like frozen butter. Lovely. Thanks for saving it for me.

Glad you all seem to like it. It's the first non-meddled-with thing I've turned in ages....I suppose you'd be annoyed if I pyro'd and coloured it? :~)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 11:19:21 PM »

R&B still Rules ... over the dark side .. ;D .. had it not sold off the lathe, it could have been by now .. :o ..  got to be one of the most striking pieces of olive about fer a long time, good form and finish.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 07:26:21 PM »
Andy,

I've only been lucky enough to turn a few pieces of Olive but enjoyed the way it cuts every time, a wonderful wood to work. And for an unusual wood (for the UK) we have 3 pieces of it posted all at the same time.

Would you care to add a little more detail, like dimensions please.

I'm glad it sold so swiftly, that means it's gone to a good and welcoming home, well done and please post more often, your work is always inspiring.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Andy Coates

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 08:05:47 PM »
Sorry Bryan...I'm usually rushing out to collect Daughter from school and forget to take measurements...

It's about 8" D and a little taller. Finial about 1".

The irony is...it's going to the Med!