Author Topic: Taking photos  (Read 3878 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Taking photos
« on: November 10, 2013, 02:20:52 PM »
Just thought that I'd share some info about taking photos. From the outset, I do not consider myself to be any good as a photographer, but information that I've read on this forum and hints that have been given by friends, led me to buy a few pieces of basic equipment so that I could improve my pics for the gallery, and perhaps be able to take some of my own publicity shots in the future. My camera is just a Fuji digital camera; a 'bridge' type, so not even a true DSLR, although I'll be getting a better one for Christmas. However, what seems to me to be important, is not so much the camera, but the setting for taking the picture and the lighting that is used. I bought three basic pieces of equipment,

1. A portable studio, which sounds grand, but is nothing more than a fold-away, fabric cube which folds flat into an integral carry-case, just about 16" square. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200638084169?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

2. A pair of light fittings, with 135watt daylight lamps. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200982645309?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

3. A cheap tripod.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130874085550?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The portable studio came with four different colour back-cloths, but white and black seem to be the importnat ones. However, the blue one could be very useful in future, as photos taken against a blue background can be worked in digital software to 'lift' the subject out of the photo, and drop it onto a pre-selected background....so my pots should be shown against landscapes etc, without ever leaving home to take the photo!

The whole lot cost me under £40, and it's made a massive difference to the quality of the pictures. I'd like to buy a graduated back drop, one which runs from white, through grey, to black, but I can't find one of a suitable size.

This picture shows the method that I used to use for taking pics for this forum...

...whilst this one shows the result from the new set-up...

I have a fault on my current camera, which gives difficulty focusing properly, so things should get better again when the new camera arrives.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline TWiG

• gold
Re: Taking photos
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 06:46:49 PM »
When ever possible I try to take photos outdoors in good weather with a strongly contrasting background , I use a dslr but the megapixel count on a small waterproof camera I use is higher !! one of the reasons why I am unable to get photos on this site !!   Terry....

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 07:33:43 PM »
Les,

thanks for the links, I have a DSLR and tripod and currently use a backdrop made from vinyl Banquet roll. The studio cube and daylight lamps sound just the job. When I finally get back to the workshop it sounds like just what I need. ((Rebuild of the bathroom nearly done and the kitchen is coming on.)

Twig,

Is your problem the fact that your images are too large? If so I can guide you to easy to use software to shrink the images to a postable size.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 08:24:34 PM »
Dragonfly ... thanks , but I have tried the re- sizing as suggested in the thread on this site but get no where ( as others as well ) I am not ashamed to admit I am more proficient with a chainsaw than a computer ! but manage to send e mails with photos attached  , but do not understand why this site does not accept them !  Part of my point about photography is that a very high resolution camera is not really necessary , and it seems they have to be shrunk to post on here anyway !  and virtually al the pics I see on here are fine for the purpose .  Terry   ....

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 08:30:47 PM »
Les,

... The studio cube and daylight lamps sound just the job....

Hi Bryan....I suggest that you follow the link, then check out the seller's other items, as he has a number of different configurations and sizes. I bought the smallest, just to try it out, and it has just coped with what I've needed to photograph, but i get the feeling that I'll need a bigger cube eventually.

Twig...it's such a shame that you're not able to post your photos. Is there anything that we can do to help? If you want to e-mail me a pic of yours I'll be happy to see what I can do.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Paul Disdle

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 09:25:28 AM »
For those of us with a smaller budget here is how to make a cheap home studio
http://www.instructables.com/id/10-Minute-DIY-Lighting-Studio-household-materials/

Paul

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 10:49:23 AM »
I see Aldi are selling camera tripods this week, only caught a quick look but in the order of £12.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 08:01:27 AM »
I made my daughter a mirror box and a light box(white painted half cube,same with mirror) when she was in the sixth form doing photography A levels,but do you think I can find them now,they were so handy for taking pics.

welcome to my woodturning world