Author Topic: A small fluted vase of Australian hardwood  (Read 2414 times)

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
A small fluted vase of Australian hardwood
« on: November 02, 2013, 08:13:49 AM »
Have been a bit quite if late as I ran into a couple of medical issues that took me away from the lathe.
 I have just finished this small hardwood vase, timber in Deadfinish or Archidendropsis basaltica, very hard but still good to turn. Finished in  satin Wipe on Poly, then waxed and buffed.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 08:20:44 PM by hughie »

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: A small fluted vase of Australian hardwood
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 05:01:20 PM »
Hi Hughie....another lovely piece, the timber looks really rich and I particularly like the way that the grain pattern bobs up and down the flutes; makes it look almost like the folds in drapes. I also like the crenelated shape to the rim...really fine.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 06:52:39 PM »

Hi Hughie, So sorry to read you've had medical issues, trust you're better and on the way to a full recovery, nothing worse than being ill.

Looks like you're back and for sure made up the time, this is a stunning result, awesome piece as always, love the form, grain and finish, as for the timber, had to look up the name, over here Acacia - Laburnum are a species in the genus, family Leguminosae of Flowering Pea Plants.

Good to see your work as always.   Cheers    David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 09:53:41 PM »
Hughie,

a different shape, different flutes but still identifiable as a Hughie piece. You say it's made from Dead Finish, not a timber we have, but from what I've seen sometimes similar looking to our Yew.

In you travels have you ever turned yew and can you compare the two for me please.

Also, hand carved flutes, not routed, how do you manage to create such perfect lines by hand?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 01:29:26 PM »
So sorry to read you've had medical issues, trust you're better and on the way to a full recovery, nothing worse than being ill.
One more to deal with a  arthroscopy knee procedure, not a big deal apparently

In you travels have you ever turned yew and can you compare the two for me please.

No  not Yew, not a tree I have seen here but no doubt it grows somewhere. Deadfinish is hard, very hard,  look here http://www.globalspecies.org/ntaxa/743328 
and some of it has a fairly high silica content that will remove the edge off your gouge in a couple minutes.

Also, hand carved flutes, not routed, how do you manage to create such perfect lines by hand?
To some extent bloody minded persistence. But I started out as a wood carver, this helps as you pick up a few tricks along the way. As good as it looks its not rocket science and I'm pretty sure most of the guys on the forum could master it.