Author Topic: Decorated Hollow Form  (Read 2593 times)

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
Decorated Hollow Form
« on: October 28, 2013, 01:43:10 PM »
It has been ages since I last posted any of my work. This one was inspired by a recent George Foweraker demo at Mid Cornwall Woodturners following which I decided that I must have a go at using Jo Sonja iridescent paint.

It is about 2.5 inches tall by about 4.5 inches diameter. Finished with two coats of acrylic sanding sealer spray, two of ebonising lacquer spray, paints applied with pieces of sponge and two coats of acrylic lacquer spray then glossed up with burnishing cream.

C & C welcome.
Philip from sunny St Issey

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Decorated Hollow Form
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 01:48:20 PM »
One of those pieces that will bring forth the discussion about letting the wood speak LOL. It is really effective whatever your opinion and the almost 3d effect of the paints really works. I like it a lot.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 02:02:31 PM »
Trouble with George is he is a bad influence ;) anfd his techniques are catching :D
I like this very much and appreciate the amount of work that went into it.
well done.
Regards
John

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 03:06:21 PM »
Hi there....this comes from a dyed-in-the-wool, let-the-wood-be-seen man, but I have to admit that I'm slowly changing and I like this. I too went to one of George's demo days and have to say that it opened my eyes to colour!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 03:20:23 PM »
I'm of the 'Colouring turners', I do a lot of stained vessels with the grain can show through.

Then I met Jenny Starbuck and later George and their use of these Irradecent paints grabbed me as well.

I love this, the shape works and the 'almost' simplicity of the applied colour really works.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 09:13:10 PM »

Hi Philip, I keep looking ... and the form is spot on .. the picture is a bit blurred for exact details of the colors, which are a bit too busy on this small form, not that they nor the piece don't work, it's not for me and I'm one who has taken to embrace colored forms, it is and will be here to stay, as wood forms have been painted in the past, no changing that, it's by the degree that color's are applied which is more the case ... IMHO .. Need to see more of George and where he's at with his current work.

Cheers   David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''