Author Topic: Tell us of the Changes  (Read 5780 times)

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Tell us of the Changes
« on: October 09, 2013, 08:52:46 PM »
Hi Wouldn't it be a good idea to inform us of the changes to the front page of the web site.When I went to look at the Forum tonight I looked for resources it was not there I see now there is a word Forum to click on is it a coincidence there has been no postings on the Forum tonight?

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Tell us of the Changes
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 10:11:17 PM »
Hi John,
As the forum link was moved up to the top level, I thought it would be obvious as it was immediately visible without clicking anything.

There were also a few other changes intended to simplify the menu and group things logically. I doubt very much that this will be the last change we will make!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 10:21:40 PM »
Hi Paul. Thank you for taking the time to reply I am sure many thought this is how it should have been in the first place.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 10:00:05 AM »
here here John this has been going on for months and months with no info on whats going on with the changes,hopefully it will be the last as they say,regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Andy Coates

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 04:33:42 PM »
I hope you'll all forgive me but...

website development is an ongoing thing for any organisation. If changes aren't made the site falls behind current standards (and they change almost weekly). Tweeking what we ended up with after the big re-launch is also an ongoing process. To expect to be notified when every change is made is somewhat naïve. There isn't a website on the internet that informs its users of the minute changes it makes.

No change we make will be so outlandishly fiendish that it can't be discovered in twenty seconds of looking.

As our new webmaster, like many of the committee, also holds down a full-time job, and has a family, the work he does as webmaster is intermittent, fitted in between his ordinary life and the three roles he currently holds for the Association. So if some feature of the website isn't where you expect it to be...please just look for it. It won't be far away!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 06:43:52 PM »

Many thanks to Brian for the years spent as Webmaster and to Paul for taking over the good job done and continuing with the good work.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 09:07:02 PM »
Hi Andy, I think if you look at many of my previous posts I have always made similar comments as your self in this thread I was not meaning to be disrespectful to anyone I know only to well how hard the Committee work on our behalf so if anyone is offended Sorry :-[ :-[ Regards John
John Smith

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 05:44:04 PM »
By the way Andy, that's 4 roles!  ;) but you are right about one thing - the changes to the website are continuous. Updates will generally happen at least weekly and usually more frequent than that but I suspect most people don't notice many of the changes and updates.

The aim with the menu is to make it as simple and intuitive as possible. Relevant / current information should be easily accessible, that's why the seminar pages have now moved out of the way!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 08:35:50 PM »

Many thanks to Brian for the years spent as Webmaster and to Paul for taking over the good job done and continuing with the good work.

Cheers   David

It's not so much as to the changes that John finds ... I am one who wonders at times on the lack of reading or finding relevant information.

On that note, just a thought ... if it is to be kept up with information .. given the fact of the Website (Page), Forum, Facebook & Twitter etc .... is one man over stretched .. He wears 4 Hats after all ..  ok it is to cover all the bases/trends of today, but the fact is, I for one don't use facebook, as well as being far from a twit-ter ... how many others use them or do you go there and hence the demise of the Forum.

No action on the Forum .. it's up to everyone to use it, there's 500 + members ... some must have something to say .. Please.

Cheers   David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 08:41:16 PM »
Don' get me started on facebook and twitter!!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 09:58:53 PM »
Hi John (BHT)
                    Sounds like you think the same as me about TWITTER But everyone keeps telling us we must keep up with the Times  ::) after all
Round and Brown is no longer COOL 8) 8)    >:(

Regards John lol 
John Smith

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 10:19:29 PM »
The facebook and twitter posts can be done by one of a number of people so no, neither of those impact on my workload. I think these two mediums offer different benefits from the forum and in today's world they have a part to play for those that use them.

We are always open to ideas for the website. It's here for the members to use so if you have any suggestions, let us know.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 08:37:08 PM »
Websites are always tweaked and Paul does a good job of juggling all he has to do.

In relation to twitter. I tend to use it more than the forums as I can not type as much as I normally do and I reach a far more diverse group of people such as galleries, makers in many other disciplines and countries. So it works for me.

I have slowly become less interested in woodturning forums, with no disrespect to the former, I can learn and develop from speaking to a wide diverse group of makers other than just woodies.

Don't use FB.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 10:34:54 PM »
I use FaceBook as I find I reach a group of people who otherwise have little contact with wood or turning and so get feedback as well as some commissions outside the turning fraternity. The fora are great for technical critique and seeing where others are going but being able to communicate with non turners gives me an idea of what others think of my own ideas and also insight into what others are doing in their disciplines. Twitter I just can't get my head around. Have tried several times and not followed it up. Maybe I need to discipline myself there if galleries are using it. I haven't had a problem withe changes simply because I have the forum geared to automatically open on the forum not the main page and go back if I need to look at some other area of the site. Having done a little IT I appreciate the work and the never ending tweaking needed so have appreciation for what Paul and others do for the site.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities