Author Topic: It cracked, so I stapled it back together!  (Read 6687 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
It cracked, so I stapled it back together!
« on: October 06, 2013, 08:57:05 PM »
This is the vase that I was working on and discussed in another thread on this forum; It's about 8" high (200mm) and 4" diameter (100mm).

Whilst I was hollowing it, a great lump of rotten wood sheared out of the centre of the base and foot of the vase, so I was left with deciding what to do with it. I was already considering stitching it back together and advise was given on that in the forum; also, I was thinking of reinforcing it by adding an ebony foot to it, but I gave up on that idea because once I'd worked out how to finish turning it and stitch it all back together, it was quite strong, yet still looked very fragile. I wanted to keep that look of fragility, so decided against the extension to the foot. There's a big lump of the foot missing and you can see right through it, which emphasises the 'raw' nature of the wood; so a well-turned, reinforcing foot might well have detracted from it.

I had a really attractive, rectangular cabochon of tiger's-eye, so i bought some Sterling Silver wire and set about mounting the stone and repairing the cracks. The top of each crack is stitched with wire, but the rest of the stitches are, in fact, silver staples (which took me an age to cut). Each staple had to be cut, bent, and then c/a glued into pre-drilled holes, half way through the thickness of the vase wall. It all took a silly amount of time, but was great experience and I do believe that I'd do it again.

It's sanded down to 400 grit and was surprisingly smooth, despite the variation in hardness of the different areas of spalting and early stages of rot.

Ill be fascinated to hear what you all make of this one!....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: It cracked, so I stapled it back together!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 09:17:21 PM »
Nice one Gwyntog. If you do it again and need to stitch, try drilling right through and stitching with the wire as in a seam on cloth, each hole being a step down each side if that makes sense. makes it look stitched. Not personally sure about the cabochon, for me there is enough going on already but again, just personal taste.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 09:27:12 PM »
Point taken, Pete. I ordered a couple of metres of wire, which I thought would be plenty, then i went away for the wekeend. When I got back home this afternoon, two minor cracks that I was going to c/a glue had opened up, so they also had to be stitched and I was afraid that I'd run out of wire....hence the staples (this time).
What do you think of using saddler's twine for stitching?
Les

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 10:13:59 PM »

It's been all the more interesting in having followed events with the creation of this, the end piece and what a piece, the thread (well silver wire) has drawn it all together very nicely indeed, in all, sets it off a gem.

No design is cast in stone ... a nice result, an piece well done, Les.

Cheers   Dewi

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 10:20:17 PM »
Diolch, dewi (liked the pun about the gem!).

Les

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 10:27:35 PM »
Diolch, dewi (liked the pun about the gem!).

Les

You missed the thread ...   ;) ..

Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 11:01:32 PM »
Well Les,
             what can I say? I think it is a wonderful piece, made even more special by knowing the history and the development of it. I like the idea of the staples and I quite like the cabochon too.
    I see what you mean about the foot and agree with you but I would have made and fitted another staple on the foot bridging the hole which I think would emphasize the delicacy of the material.
Other than that I really do like it
Well done indeed.
Regards
John BHT

Mark Sanger

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 08:45:25 AM »
Les

This is great, you came across issues and instead of throwing it away you came up with a creative solution and boy has it worked well.

GwilymF

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 09:02:59 AM »
Nice one Les, you've rescued an attractive piece of timber.
Gwilym

Francesco Dibari

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 02:35:29 PM »
.. a very good save gwyntog ..  :)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 09:48:10 PM »
Hmmm, Steampunk!

Me Like, well saved.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 10:04:01 PM »
Hi Bryan....'Steampunk'!.....I had to look that one up. Are you referring to 'a burgeoning sub-culture which delights in making things that are a blend of the modern and anachronistic', 'cos if you are, I'll think hard about it and work out whether or not that's a compliment!
!
!
!
!
!
OK....I've thought about it....Me like...well said.

Les

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 04:20:09 AM »
Yep, Steampunk. That, and the earlier thread about our modern age being a throw away society and not repairing things - ably disproved by many of the associated postings and this one.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 06:52:18 AM by dr4g0nfly »
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 10:15:08 AM »
Hey Bryan....I've been having a good read-up on Steampunk....interesting stuff. I guess that the most famous steampunk that I'm familiar with is Wallace, of 'Wallace and Grommit' fame! Anyway, I've decided to call the vase ;'The Steampunk Vase'.....thanks for the info and the lead.

Les

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 09:24:10 PM »
Ten days after I finished turning it and the walls appear to have finally stopped moving. A couple of the staples have developed a very slight bulge, as the crack has tried to close up a little in one place....others are under tension as other parts of the crack have tried to open a little. What's more interesting, is the feel of the vase. The various areas of the grain have dried and shrunk to varying degrees so you can now feel the surface as it dips and twists.

I'm so pleased with it!

Les