Author Topic: Christmas tree baubles  (Read 6689 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Christmas tree baubles
« on: September 28, 2013, 08:04:06 PM »
I've been scratching my head wondering what to make to exploit all that lovely money that people like to spend at Christmas, and this is what I've come up with...

I've made a point of not buying any wood specifically for this, instead, they're all made from scraps. offcuts and firewood, so the timber cost is peanuts. It's been great fun making them as there is complete freedom to shape as I wish....no set plan to work to, just cut away and let my imagination dream up as many different shapes as I can think of, and the greatest reward of all is that I'm getting loads of practice using the skew chisel and the spindle gouges.

To hang them, I've bought some jewellery findings, so each bauble has...
  • 300mm of red bead cord
  • a 10mm diameter red glass bead
  • a 40mm silver filigree bead cap, shaped like a dunce's hat
  • and a 5mm clear glass bead to top it all off.
....the cost per bauble is in the order of 60p for the findings, plus the wood and my labour.

Comments and criticisms always welcome...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Christmas tree baubles
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 01:14:42 PM »
Just got back from a visit to the gallery that's selling my stuff. They have an 'original work' art gallery on the first floor, which is where my best bowls are being sold, plus a rather swish gift shop on the ground floor, where they've given me 2 further display areas and a section of the window. They're going to take loads of these baubles, once bonfire night is over with, and set up a display on a Christmas tree right next to the counter....all I need to do now is to keep turning them out!

Les

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 06:06:49 PM »
Just got back from a visit to the gallery that's selling my stuff. They have an 'original work' art gallery on the first floor, which is where my best bowls are being sold, plus a rather swish gift shop on the ground floor, where they've given me 2 further display areas and a section of the window. They're going to take loads of these baubles, once bonfire night is over with, and set up a display on a Christmas tree right next to the counter....all I need to do now is to keep turning them out!

Les

Old Stock Clearance ...   :D ...  Les you sure hit pay dirt there ... your own Welch Gold Mine .. now it is as you've rightly said .. " need too keep turning " .. Ooh .. the Baulbles, best assortment I've seen anyone come up with, like the filigree bead caps, nice touch, well done.

Cheers   Dewi

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 07:02:39 PM »
Les,

I do a selection of these, but different. Some I stain as well to create a set of different coloured ones.

Can I ask, do you hollow the ball sections to lighten them?

I love some of your shapes and the hanging arrangement. Well done.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 08:07:47 PM »
Cheers Dewi and Bryan.

Bryan...I don't hollow them, they are made out of 2" stock so the weight isn't a problem - the gallery is certainly happy with them as they are. I've started to experiment with colour and have tried a few with red and green spirit stains, but I'm having difficulty getting an even coat. Do you seal the wood first? I've got some 3" stock set aside for some larger baubles, but they'll have to be hollowed, which will have quite an effect on the price. I can make these 2" ones at the rate of 4 per hour, but I imagine that I'd be on an hour a piece to hollow the bigger ones.

Les

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 08:34:50 PM »
Hi Les, Very nice Christmas decorations try using some of this alternative coloured materials as for colouring how about Jo-Sonjas paint then a coat of clear lacquer sprayed on.You could even try a little sparkle but that might make them tacky.
                                      Regards John 
John Smith

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 08:54:43 PM »
Les,

my magic trick for you. I don't know what Spirit is used in spirit stain, I certainly don't know the aroma.

However Meths works with them well.

So to get a smooth finish, apply stain then use a cloth damped with meths and rub gently to 'smooth' out the colour.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 09:38:35 PM »
Thanks so much Bryan...I was thinking along those lines and was going to try white spirit and surgical spirit. So far, I've been painting it on and trying to keep the stain 'open', but wasn't having much luck as it dries off so quickly, so I was wetting a piece of rag with more stain and wiping it with that....results are a bit sketchy - not good enough! I've been sealing the wood first, which slows down the rate at which the stain soaks in, but then causes most of it to be wiped back off...at least that allows the grain to show through nicely, but still causes the odd dark streak where the stain has built up. I'll try your suggestion, it sound just right for what I need.

Les

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 09:05:48 PM »
Well, I now have about 50 baubles in stock and feel that it's time to move on! This has been my first taste of having to turn what the customer wants, rather than what I want to turn, and I can now understand a few comments that I've read in earlier threads, about turning to order!

Bryan....in the end I developed a system for applying the spirit stains that worked well for me. I'd use scorch-lines as demarcations for the colour, then set the tool-rest a few inches away from the work. With the work spinning at less than 50rpm, I'd hold an artists' paint-brush well loaded with stain and gently touch it against the surface of the work, at a tangent to it, then slide the brush sideways slowly until it reached the scorch-line at the other end of the area that i wanted to colour. Sometimes I'd need to re-charge the brush with stain, but often, one brush-full would do. I'd then leave the lathe running for a minute or two, which stopped the excessive stain from running down to the lowest point of the work and collecting in a blob, causing deepened areas of colour. After a minute, or so, I'd increase the speed gradually and let the rush of air around the work dry the remaining stain off. I found that I could get quite a lot of control over the depth of colour and managed to make a good range of colours for this big, sample batch.

So now I can get back to turning what I want....but in the couple of weeks that I've been churning out baubles in the evenings after work, I've been inspired to make so many new shapes that I'm going to have to do a lot of thinking about what to do next!

Les

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 09:37:54 PM »

Stains, Spinning baubles ... Can I expect a lathe & someone speckled Red & Green as it's Christmas colors ... The finisher at the Firm I had worked, had finish up the wall an across the low ceiling, let alone the floor/lathe and himself ..  :o ..

Dewi

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 10:13:30 PM »

Stains, Spinning baubles ... Can I expect a lathe & someone speckled Red & Green as it's Christmas colors ... The finisher at the Firm I had worked, had finish up the wall an across the low ceiling, let alone the floor/lathe and himself ..  :o ..

Dewi

Ha, ha! A place where I once worked had a manager called Albert, and an employee whose job was to coat sheets of fabrics with adhesive, so that lesser minions could cut them into patches for repairing gloves. The latter of these two Alberts was known by all and sundry as 'Sticky Albert'....was it he who worked also in your firm?

Les

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 10:40:55 PM »

Dewi

Ha, ha! A place where I once worked had a manager called Albert, and an employee whose job was to coat sheets of fabrics with adhesive, so that lesser minions could cut them into patches for repairing gloves. The latter of these two Alberts was known by all and sundry as 'Sticky Albert'....was it he who worked also in your firm?

Les

;D ...  :D ...   :'(  ....  As I recall it was Peter ..

Well done on the 1st 50 ..

Dewi

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 10:55:57 AM »
Stains, Spinning baubles ... Can I expect a lathe & someone speckled Red & Green as it's Christmas colours ...

Not just red & green and not just stain? I do however put an old flannel on the bedbars to protect them from the flying colour.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 07:43:41 PM »
We have been making christmas tree decorations for the local hospice, our charity for this year. I coloured some with acrylic and some with Sharpie pens. The Sharpie pens let the grain show through
Ron

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 07:38:30 PM »
The Lettraset Promarkers http://www.letraset.com/products/8-ProMarkers/ (and similar) craft pens give a similar effect to sharpies and a far greater range of colours.