Author Topic: Dry transfer lettering  (Read 4111 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Dry transfer lettering
« on: September 19, 2013, 09:04:43 PM »
Hi All,
         I am quoting for a job that will require loads of names and dates placed on a board in gold. So I was thinking of Letraset but I want the letters to be about15-18mm high and they don't seem to do it that size. Does anyone know of a company that makes this stuff? Or could advise me as to an alternative. (I don't really want to paint the names individually)
Regards
John BHT

Offline malcy

• gold
Re: Dry transfer lettering
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 09:21:33 PM »
One way would be to print what you want onto computer transfer paper. Try www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk and then select transfer paper,  to see if that method is suitable. Gold might be a problem though for a computer printer. The best way to get gold is to hot foil print it but you need a hot foil printer and the dies for that. Malcolm.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 09:59:16 PM »
Could you do it with stencils and spray? You can get the stencils in all sorts of sizes.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

YewTube

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 10:48:35 AM »
Hi BHT

I have just Googled 'Self adhesive vinyl lettering' and found and number of companies which will let you design your own lettering and one was in gold.

Bill

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 11:33:28 AM »
Hi John - I made an Honour board for my local Athletic Club a few years ago, They wanted the
names of all the Captains and the years listed. I went to my local sign shop with the list of names
and dates and they cut them to my size on vinyl so all I had to do was ley them on the board and
remove the masking tape that they were held together with. I am sure you are aware of the process.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 12:13:28 PM »
I did exactly the same as Julcle some years ago. Even to the point of the top lettering being set on a curve. It's their bread and butter work and not terribly expensive.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 05:29:23 PM »
Thanks guys I will look it up.
regards
John BHT

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 10:52:21 PM »
So I have decided how to do it but cannot complete my quote until I get all of the names(they go back apparently to 1921)I will not give a price because if all the names are double barreled I will have cooked my goose!
I am  going to make a stencil out of frisket and and use spray on gold paint. The reasons are this:-
1. Using vinyl the little b******s darlings may be tempted to try peeling it off.
2.Using Letraset or similar will result in letters purchased but not used(wasted).
3. Readily available stencils will give me fixed sized lettering, I may need to alter this to fit it on the board.
4. There is always the chance that if it looks alright I will be asked each year to add the new name/s and frisket would be the easiest way to do this, and now I am thinking commercially. No job ever takes less than an hour so that is one hours worth of work that I do not have to find each year. Does that make sense?
So frisket it is.
Thanks for your help and advice.
Regards
John BHT