Author Topic: Scaling things up a bit!  (Read 7021 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Scaling things up a bit!
« on: September 08, 2013, 06:41:51 PM »
It's been a couple of months since I posted anything on here....that's because it's been a couple of months since I turned anything! I had become disillusioned with my old lathe and frustrated by its limitations, so I bought a second-hand Record Power Maxi 1, which I finally got working a couple of days ago.

These first few pieces won't take any prizes for design or technical skill, but they were intended to give me a feel for what the lathe could do and how my tool techniques could change to accommodate the bigger sizes.

Firstly, a yew platter - 16" diameter (40cm) and 2" deep (50mm). Finished with sanding sealer and a couple of coats of micro-crystaline wax.

Secondly, a white ash salad-bowl from a piece of locally-grown timber. It's 12" diameter (30cm) x 5" deep (12.5cm) and I haven't applied any finish yet, but will probably give it a couple of coats of Chestnut Food-safe oil. It's a big, heavy bowl with thick walls, so I rolled the edge of the outer-top part of the wall to make it look a little lighter.

Finally, a fruit bowl from olive-ash, again 12" diameter (30cm) but just 3" deep (7.5cm). I gave this one a bit of a lip to make it look a little heavier, then under-cut the rim and turned the walls down to 6mm. It's finished with 3 coats of Chestnut Food-safe oil.

Comments and criticisms always welcome....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Scaling things up a bit!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 12:20:02 AM »

Wow ... Les ... 16" yew gone a really nice piece there, I like the white ash, you'll get a nice size salad from that bowl and a load of fruit in the olive-ash, nice the accent lines. We need to see a good sized platter for the sizzling steak, not to spoil the yew.

Good to see you're breaking the Lathe in gentle.

You've about sumed it up for many who start out in turning, it's not always possible to get hold of the best in a Lathe and some cheap tool kits are so poor for profiles, there cr@p, it's so easy to get disillusioned, let alone frustrated, when really they're let down by the tools .. it's not always the workman nor the turner ..

Cheers  Dewi

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 12:38:14 AM »
Looks like somebody has been let of the leash  ;D  Thats a pretty good scale up and some pretty fine turnings to boot.

Mark Sanger

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 03:04:25 PM »
Hi Les

Great work and glad you have now got a lathe that you can work with. I am still happy with my Maxi 1 and I by no means treat it with kid gloves. it always does what I ask it to.

Nice work indeed, keep at it and looking forward to viewing more of what you make.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 05:45:23 PM »
Hi Les,
        Lovely work indeed I particularly like the bowl in olive ash but they are all very nice.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 07:32:19 PM »
Scaled up a bit!

Gawd help that poor lathe when you really get going.

Lovely work (and give us a clue where you find 16" yew blanks).
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 08:06:13 PM »
Sorry Bryan, but if I knew I wouldn't tell you, because if I told you, I'd have to shoot you!

My one and only 16" x 2" yew blank came from the guy I bought the lathe from. It was the only piece of that size and had a price ticket of £16 on it, but we settled on 50% of the marked price for his stock of timber. I also bought some 14" x 3" spalted beech...can't wait to try that one!

Thanks, everyone, for the kind comments. I'm having so much fun getting back into turning after my 9-week break!... Les

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 07:48:48 AM »
lovely works Les,its amazing how your scope changes with a bigger lathe isn`t it,regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 08:47:53 AM »
Eric...it certainly is....I've got a big clump of yew root and some really odd-shaped lumps of gnarled apple trunk...can't wait. Meanwhile, I need to make a couple of dozen light-pulls - life goes on!

Les

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 02:26:04 PM »
Way-hay (or however it's spelt)....the gamble to invest in a better lathe paid off. The three pieces shown above sold immediately. The yew platter and the olive ash bowl got me into a gallery where my prices had to be increased to keep me in line with stock that they are already selling. What's more, they took three other of the best pieces of my earlier work and want a lot more. I don't normally do 'pink'.....but today I'm positively tickled pink all over.

.....must get out the workshop now and bash out a few lidded bowls!

.....and whilst I think of it; once again, guys, thanks so much for the moral support and the inspiration that you all have given.

Les
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 08:46:14 PM by gwyntog »

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 09:32:50 PM »
Hi Less well done in selling those three pieces an also getting some of your work into a Gallery "From little Acorns grow large Oaks" ;) ;)

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 07:23:32 PM »
Well done, and it shows that there is money out there as well.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 10:01:13 PM »

Les, welcome to the Professional world.. Your work in a Gallery .. It's a case of keeping up with demand now. They've got to be considerate of your work and at being needful for you to increase your prices, got to be good, it's been a quesion by many, how much to charge or a tale to often that many sell too cheap and devalue our craft, an area to address, more than constantly complaining about, now you've an idea as to the value of your work, is the price with their commission, you've sold your work and it's not SOR.. (sell or return) as such less their commision or when you return will you find a 50 - 100% markup.

Given their more than happy with your work, what did the rest of what they sell (turned) looked like, what have you to aim for beyond your current high standards.

Well done.   Dewi

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 10:29:59 PM »
Cheers John and Bryan, and yes, there clearly still is money out there...I guess that the trick is to find out where the people are spending it and then get in there. I ahve to admit that on my part there was an element of luck involved in that.

...and Dewi....as for what else they sell, the shop is a showcase for a n umber of celebrated local artists (of the painty variety) and the local association of jewellery makers. As for wooden items, they sell very little at the moment. Just the work of a turner who I don't know. Their stock was smallish pieces of natural-edged work, so I'm supplying larger stuff and more detailed stuff; which doesn't mean to say that I might not also bung in the odd natural-edged bowl from all that spalted holly that I bought.

Les

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 10:44:04 PM »
Cheers John and Bryan, and yes, there clearly still is money out there...I guess that the trick is to find out where the people are spending it and then get in there. I ahve to admit that on my part there was an element of luck involved in that.

...and Dewi....as for what else they sell, the shop is a showcase for a n umber of celebrated local artists (of the painty variety) and the local association of jewellery makers. As for wooden items, they sell very little at the moment. Just the work of a turner who I don't know. Their stock was smallish pieces of natural-edged work, so I'm supplying larger stuff and more detailed stuff; which doesn't mean to say that I might not also bung in the odd natural-edged bowl from all that spalted holly that I bought.

Les

There you go Les, up among the best, an element of luck, not when it comes to the quality of your work, ok going large has it's part to play, just maybe ... can't wait to see as I know with spalted holly, your results.

Cheers   Dewi