Author Topic: 10" Cherry fruit-bowl  (Read 3447 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
10" Cherry fruit-bowl
« on: June 30, 2013, 01:28:56 PM »
This is my first commission..at last. A 10" diameter fruit bowl, 3" high and made from a nice piece of cherry. I've been holding off taking orders until I was satisfied that I could get the finish right, and until I'd got a bit of a stock of samples to trawl around a few galleries and hotels, but it's all systems go now!

There was some interesting colour in the rim, so I turned a chunky rim to show it off, and then under-cut the rim to give more room in the bowl

It's finished with cellulose sanding sealer and several thin coats of microcrystalline wax

Comments and criticisms always welcome...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

woody

Re: 10" Cherry fruit-bowl
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 01:36:15 PM »
Now that I like Les nicely turned and finished well done mate keep em coming

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 01:41:49 PM »
Thanks Woody....I based the design on one of Mark Baker's, from his book of woodturning projects. He had a more details foot, but I wanted to keep it very simple, clean lines.
Les

Offline Hartwood

• copper
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 04:23:55 PM »
Hi Les, nice bowl, is that type of foot your signature? was that the piece of Cherry you had from me?
Chris

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 04:29:02 PM »
Hi Chris...thanks for the comment...I'm not sure that I've turned enough bowls of my own design to have a 'signature' yet, but that type of foot is one that I like and I am using it more and more.
Yep....that's a bit of cherry that I bought from you. There was a split in the edge of the disc, which just reached the top face, but travelled a few inches along the bottom face, but it still didn't affect the outcome of this shape....a good bit of luck as it's a nice piece of wood - lovely to work with!

Les

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 10:18:27 PM »

Hi Les,  very much like this piece, nice cherry and form .. from a very good book of Designs, can't go wrong following Mark.

First commission .. There you go .. Well done.

Cheers   Dewi

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Clavico

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 08:40:48 AM »
I like it.  very nice finish!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 12:13:25 PM »
Thanks, Clavico. It's had about a half dozen coats of microcrystalline wax applied direct to the surface, left for 20 minutes and then buffed with a soft rag....I usually use the Chestnut buffing wheel on my lathe to get the final polish a couple of days after I've finished waxing by hand. The bowl doesn't need to be waterproof, but I understand that this type of wax is water resistant, so I'm hoping it will be ok for a fruit bowl being occasionally wet-wiped.

Les

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 08:44:58 PM »
Les, that is a well executed classic form. Well done.

And don't worry about turning from others designs. When you can achieve what you see, and not something close to it, you have control of your tools. The most important ability in woodturning.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Mark Sanger

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 11:40:34 AM »
Very nice indeed, form a finish are important. So while I agree that we need 'safe tool technique', I do not agree with Bryan totally that tool technique is the most important ability in turning.

Yes if you are a full time production turner you are not going to get on very well without it.

But for and design are more important in my mind than technical prowess in the final product (as long as your tooling is safe).

An expertly turned piece if poor in design and finish holds little value and if you are wanting to sell your work then you will not be able to hope to get a good return on such a piece. A finely finished and well proportioned/designed piece will hold its own in the market place for a good return.

This is a lovely well balanced and finished bowl, thanks for sharing.